Thread: Macbook 1.1 with new Lubutu 18.04 LTS won't boot without "Options" key being pressed

Beans

Macbook 1.1 with new Lubutu 18.04 LTS won't boot without "Options" key being pressed

While trying to do a live boot into various versions of Linux I kept having issues with a dead keyboard keeping me from making selections necessary to boot from the cd. I attempted to follow a suggestion from this forum to press "1" early in the loading process and to then hold down "Enter". This seems to have corrupted something in the boot loader, since it caused the above problem. I have since installed Lubuntu, and the computer works fine, except that I have to hold down the options key to get it to boot. If I don't push "options" to get to the boot menu I get a file folder with a "?", which I understand means it's missing some file for the boot loader. How can I correct this? I also can't get into the bios, or recovery mode. None of the key combinations used during boot have any effect, except for the "options" key mentioned earlier.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Macbook 1.1 with new Lubutu 18.04 LTS won't boot without "Options" key being pre

I'm pretty sure that grub hasn't been installed in the right place (needing to use the Mac's built-in boot loader is the clue).
    The first thing you can try is auto-installing grub using the command -
    sudo update-grub
    If no help there, read through this:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing

Beans

Re: Macbook 1.1 with new Lubutu 18.04 LTS won't boot without "Options" key being pre

The shutdown may delay fixing this since I set up the comp for a senior, and her building is on lock-down and Teamviewer stopped working.

Beans

Do I need grub when the system only uses Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nola-guy View Post
    Do I need grub when the system only uses Linux?
    YES, yes you do.