Thread: Trouble Installing Lubuntu on Tablet

Beans

Post Trouble Installing Lubuntu on Tablet

Tablet Specs:
    Lenovo Thinkpad 2 - I've added a link which has the full specs
    Processor: Intel Atom CPU Z2760 1.80GHz
    RAM: 2GB
    System type: 32-bit, x86 processor

I am attempting to install Lubuntu (32 bit version) on my tablet and am running into some issues. I cant get the tablet to boot to the USB drive that I have Lubuntu on.

Things I've tried (that I can recall):

• Changed the boot order, USB at the top
    • Create bootable USB drive (w/ Lubuntu) using Gnome Disk
    • Create bootable USB drive (w/ Lubutnu) using Rufus
    • Create bootable USB drive (w/ Lubuntu) using Lubuntu Startup Disk Creator
    • None of that worked... so I switched gears and tried to use DBAN to wipe the drive first, thinking this would help, somehow...? Of course, that wouldn't boot from USB either
    • I tried to boot the USB on other laptops, which worked perfectly
    • I tried an "Advanced startup" on windows 10, which allows you to select the boot drive, which also didn't work
    • I turned google upside down and found that you can change the secure boot and uefi settings in the BIOS menu, which didn't work

What are my options here? Why wont this tablet boot from a USB drive? Am I missing something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Trouble Installing Lubuntu on Tablet

Installing Ubuntu or any desktop Linux distro in such hardware is only for experts and even experts will have an hard time making everything work.

For starters, you need a modified 64-bit OS - never 32-bit, albeit the factory installed Windows is 32-bit - with an additional boot file. With that it will boot the live session and install but most hardware will need lots of tweaks to make it work.

IMO, it doesn't justify the time and effort.

found that you can change the secure boot and uefi settings in the BIOS menu, which didn't work
    Of course not... First of all, what you found is misinformed (and misinforming) people suggesting a Legacy/CSM install in UEFI hardware. There's no point in doing so in any modern hardware but specially in this case. Bay Trail's 32-bit UEFI doesn't have CSM!! So, not an option (and wouldn't change anything even if available).
    Last edited by CelticWarrior; April 8th, 2020 at 01:13 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the response CelticWarrior. So to confirm I am understanding correctly, I am out of luck since I have a 32-bit processor? This is disappointing but I do understand the limitations. And yes, it does run a 32bit Windows OS, which I'd love to give the boot because its slower than Christmas.
    Last edited by jsinclair92; April 8th, 2020 at 07:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Mobile Technology Discussions for a better fit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jsinclair92 View Post
    Thanks for the response CelticWarrior. So to confirm I am understanding correctly, I am out of luck since I have a 32-bit processor? This is disappointing but I do understand the limitations. And yes, it does run a 32bit Windows OS, which I'd love to give the boot because its slower than Christmas.
    No, you're out of luck because you have a purposefully made cost-saving "Frankenstein monster" with a 32-bit firmware (UEFI) and a 64-bit CPU/GPU, tailored for Windows 8 32-bit or newer and Windows only.
    For desktop Linux, since the beginning back in 2013/14 when those machines cropped out, it was a huge PITA, things improved slightly over the years, namely with better support for the weird SDIO bus WiFi and a few other tweaks but it remains a PITA up to this day. Just ask Google about "BayTrail Ubuntu" (CherryTrail also a problem). The issues are mostly related to Zxxxx or Xxxxx series; other series of the same families don't have that many problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

You may want to try Linuxium's work at http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/20...new-point.html.
    He's been doing those ISO respins for a few years now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    No, you're out of luck because you have a purposefully made cost-saving "Frankenstein monster" with a 32-bit firmware (UEFI) and a 64-bit CPU/GPU, tailored for Windows 8 32-bit or newer and Windows only.
    I cant imagine a corporation cutting corners to save money!

mikewhatever - Thanks for the tip, I have reached out to Linuxium. Hopefully he can help me outfit my Frankenstein of a tablet! Windows has to go.