Thread: Lost communication with HOST NIC on KVM Setup 18.04.4

Beans

Lost communication with HOST NIC on KVM Setup 18.04.4

Hello

Recently built a VM Host utilizing Ubuntu Server 18.0.4 LTS with multiple NIC’s.

System was running well until recently when I started experiencing weird networking issues.

For reasons unknown I can no longer reach the host via the IP / NIC interlace that I assigned to it.

I CANNOT ping, ssh, etc… the host (onboard nic 192.168.2.2) from the LAN

I CAN access the internet from the host (onboard nic 192.168.2.2) for example ping google.com, download updates etc….

I CAN access the VM’s running on the host from the LAN and the INTERNET with no problems.

HOST was/is hanging on boot for 2 minutes with the message “A start job is running for wait for network to be configured”

I now have disabled systemd-networkd-wait-online.service

Here is a basic diagram of my network.

pfSense 2.4.4
    tp-link switch TL-SG1016DE

Code:
        INTERNET  <——>  pfSense  <——> tp-link switch
                                                                         |          |
                                                                         |          |

192.168.1.x.   192.168.2.x
                                                                   /                     \
                                                                   /                        \
                                                           IoT / PC’s                     (1) onboard nic 192.168.2.2

(2) single port nic 192.168.2.3

(3) two port nic 192.168.2.4  <—VM Guest IP —> 192.168.2.10
                                                                                                                         192.168.2.5  <—VM Guest IP —> 192.168.2.11

I believe this issues started after an update but I can not be sure as the majority of the time I am accessing the GUESTS and not the HOST.

If I delete the ARP entry for 192.168.2.2 on pfSense I can then ping or ssh to 192.168.2.2 but this is only temporary and drops out again in a minute or less.

However if I quickly ssh into 192.168.2.2 and then start pinging out to say 192.168.1.1 then the connection does not drop and I am able to accesses 192.168.2.2 as normal.

I am at a loss and hope that someone will be provide assistance.

FYI I had disabled ipv6 but have since enabled.

See attached file for system output and logs. Tried to include in post but received error.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lost communication with HOST NIC on KVM Setup 18.04.4

i've almost the same problem om my virtual mashine's.
    sudo apt-get moo
    Ubuntu on a 50" 1920×1080