Thread: 20.04 Beta - Software store doesn't load, no Snap Store

Beans

20.04 Beta - Software store doesn't load, no Snap Store

I was on the 20.04 daily which I installed about 2 weeks ago. Today I did a fresh install of 20.04 Beta.

When I click on Ubuntu Software, the title appears briefly in the taskbar, but never loads. My install is also missing the Snap Store icon, and also the Extensions icon/program is missing.

I am using the ZFS disk partitioning. Dell Latitude E6440 i5 8gb Ram, 500gb SSD.

UPDATE: Strangely, the Extensions Icon has appeared! This may be as a consequence of I installed Gnome Tweaks via Terminal.

Any ideas?
    Many thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 20.04 Beta - Software store doesn't load, no Snap Store

The snap-store icon is now the same as the old Ubuntu software icon and snap-store is called 'Ubuntu software'. If you install gnome-software (by terminal or synaptic) you will have an icon named 'software'
    after yesterday's updates Ubuntu-software == snap-store seems ok with snap and .deb
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

My install is also missing the Snap Store icon...
    Snap store is installed by default as a snap application, but isn't showing up in Applications Overview or the Search Box in the beta. As a workaround, I did the first launch from terminal:
    Code:
    snap run snap-store
    then pinned it to the dock for easy access. As to it's icon, It still has the same distinct icon in the default Yaru icon theme.

Beans
    Distro

If in the dash you enter 'softwa' or 'ubu' you see snap-store with the icon you know for Ubuntu software and also with name 'Ubuntu software'

Beans

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I still have the issue of the Ubuntu Software store not loading, I installed the Gnome-software store and that works perfectly.

The Ubuntu Software store upon clicking on it appears in the taskbar with the 'busy' rotating mouse pointer and then disappears without launching.

Many thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by corradoventu View Post
    If in the dash you enter 'softwa' or 'ubu' you see snap-store with the icon you know for Ubuntu software and also with name 'Ubuntu software'
    100% correct. I get the same result. Icon shown in the search results is the icon 'Ubuntu Software', and it launches the snap store. The running icon in the dock is changed to the snap store icon - this is what I was referring to when I said it used the previous icon (see screenshot).

I installed 'gnome-software' package, and as you said, it offered both regular and snap versions of a few applications I checked. An exception I noticed was that Firefox was only offered as a snap package.

Beans

I still have the same result.

Try to open Ubuntu Software and nothing starts, not Ubuntu Software Store nor the Snap Store....nothing.

Only thing working for me is the Gnome software store.

Beans

Only thing working for me is the Gnome software store.
    Remember it's a beta release. Things may get straight by the final release. In Ubuntu 19.10, 'ubuntu-software' is just a symbolic link in /usr/bin to 'gnome-software'. They are the same thing in that release. In 20.04 beta I don't find that link.

From Ubuntu 19.10:
    Code:
    dmn@Sydney-VM:/usr/bin$ file ubuntu-software
    ubuntu-software: symbolic link to gnome-software
    From Ubuntu 20.04 beta:
    Code:
    dmn@Tyana-vm:/usr/bin$ file ubuntu-software
    ubuntu-software: cannot open `ubuntu-software' (No such file or directory)
    In 20.04 terminal:
    Code:
    dmn@Tyana-vm:~$ ubuntu-software
    Command 'ubuntu-software' not found, but can be installed with:
    sudo apt install ubuntu-software
    If you install ubuntu-software as suggested here, it adds the link back. And I now get two identical icons labeled 'Ubuntu Software' in the search results - one opens snap store as before, the other opens gnome software.
    Last edited by Dennis N; April 7th, 2020 at 04:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You must install gnome-software, not ubuntu-software

Beans

I fixed mine by installing both gnome-software and ubuntu-software. Then I found that the .desktop file for Snap Store had the wrong name and icon so I just corrected those (details below). Search for Snap now gives 'Snap Store' as a result (screenshot 1). Searching for Ubuntu Software gives 'Ubuntu Software' as a result (screenshot 2).

For now, everything seems to work correctly, including the 'show applications' button now displays a Snap Store icon and a Ubuntu Software icon (restart was necessary).

There may be some reason why the .desktop file was as created the way I found it. Therefore, changing it could be the wrong thing to do. But it is easy to revert the changes.

Changes made (use at your own risk):

Edit: /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/snap-store_ubuntu-software.desktop
    changed Name=Ubuntu Software to Name=Snap Store
    changed Icon=ubuntusoftware to Icon=snap-store

Update: These changes will prove temporary and will be reverted with a refresh of the snap-store application. And it looks like a snap store with snaps only will not exist in 20.04. Launching the latest revision of snap-store snap package from the terminal or from the Snap Store icon (still called 'Snap Store' in the 'About' info) is essentially the same as Ubuntu Software. More explanation is here:
    Ubuntu Switches to snap Software Store
    Last edited by Dennis N; April 8th, 2020 at 04:52 PM. Reason: New information