Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to boot Windows 10 even after running boot-repair in Ubuntu

Beans

Unable to boot Windows 10 even after running boot-repair in Ubuntu

Hello,
    I used boot repair's 'Recommended Repair' within ubuntu to fix the grub and boot issue of Windows 10 OS on an Alienware 15 R2 (uses UEFI and GPT), which fixed only the grub.
    Pastebin link generated by boot repair:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/McxnKhGHzJ/
    Drives in the PC:
    1) SSD (~240GB) >> Contains Windows and C: drive.
    2) HDD (1TB) >> Contains 500GB D: drive for Windows files and the rest is divided into:
    a) ~230GB for Ubuntu
    b) ~230GB for my files etc.
    c) 16GB swap space
    d) 256MB EFI system partition

Post Ubuntu installation, the grub menu was not to be found and Ubuntu loaded directly on startup.
    On restarting, I entered Windows via the boot menu (F12 key), which worked normally.
    I came across this link to enable the grub menu.
    I executed the following command (in the cmd as an admin):
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
    I observed that Ubuntu loaded directly on startup, despite the above step.
    This time around Windows couldn't be accessed via the Boot menu (grub didn't work either) and gave this error:
    Code:
    The selected boot device failed. Press any key to restart.

I tried updating grub from within Ubuntu, changing UEFI to Legacy in system setup & disabling Secure Boot to no avail.
    I used boot repair and the grub menu can be seen now, although whenever I click on any Windows option in the grub I either get this error:
    IMG_20200405_223235.jpg
    OR
    I see the Windows Recovery Options as follows (which do not help that much):
    windows10recoveryoptions.jpg
    windows10recoveryadvoptions.jpg

I have also executed the following commands using the cmd (in advanced recovery options):
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
    bcdedit /deletevalue {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi
    The first command returns success, but doesn't help gain access to Windows. The second command returns not found.
    The grub menu is accessible after using boot repair (Windows entries don't work):
    IMG_20200405_211914.jpg
    My HDD partitions (sudo fdisk -l):

Screenshot.jpg

Therefore, I would like to kindly request for urgent help regarding this matter as my work files are still in Windows.

Boot-info report (after using boot-repair): http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/fxtxR4qZMq/
    Last edited by aryannc; April 6th, 2020 at 02:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unable to boot Windows 10 even after running boot-repair in Ubuntu

Grub only boots working Windows, so Windows cannot have hibernation on, or need chkdsk.
    Windows turns hibernation back on with updates, so then you have to directly boot Windows from UEFI boot menu, probably f12, fix Windows & then boot Ubuntu.
    Major updates from either Ubuntu or Windows may reset UEFI boot order. Then you still should be able to boot from UEFI boot menu.

Boot-Repair shows different GUIDs for Windows entry & Ubuntu. This may because you have not updated UEFI and SSD firmware or had Windows fast start up on, so installer could not see the ESP on the NVMe drive. So it installed Ubuntu/grub to ESP on HDD. That should be ok, but normally it would have installed into the ESP on the NVMe drive.

You also show you must have deleted the Windows entry & added a new one using grub. Very old versions of Boot-Repair also did that and years ago that was one work around. But not recommended for years as when Windows turns fast start up on, grub will not boot Windows & you then have no way to boot it.
    You need to delete that UEFI entry & create new correct Windows UEFI boot entry. I assume it is in the ESP on the NVMe drive. If not then you have to boot your Windows repair disk and run a full set of repairs.

Code:
    efibootmgr -v
    BootCurrent: 0003
    Timeout: 1 seconds
    BootOrder: 0003,0000,0002,0001,0007,0008,0006
    Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager    HD(1,GPT,89597315-219c-4bfb-9f4c-58367fdc412c,0x800,0xfa000)/File(EFIubuntugrubx64.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}....................
    Boot0001* Onboard NIC (IPV4)    PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/MAC(28f10e04ba5e,0)/IPv4(0.0.0.00.0.0.0,0,0)..BO
    Boot0002* Onboard NIC (IPV6)    PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/MAC(28f10e04ba5e,0)/IPv6([::]:<->[::]:,0,0)..BO
    Boot0003* ubuntu    HD(4,GPT,b31b06b7-939e-464b-a9aa-15a1cdf5bcc7,0x581dc000,0x7a000)/File(EFIubuntushimx64.efi)
    Boot0006* NetWork    BBS(PCMCIA,,0x0)..GO..NO........o.N.e.t.W.o.r.k.........................rN.D+..,.;..........@..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.Q.u.a.l.c.o.m.m. .A.t.h.e.r.o.s. .B.o.o.t........BO
    Boot0007* Hard Drive    BBS(Floppy,,0x0)..GO..NO..........H.a.r.d. .D.r.i.v.e....................A..................1.N........>.;......J..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.P.1.:. .S.T.1.0.0.0.L.M.0.4.4. .H.N.-.M.1.0.1.S.A.D........BO
    Boot0008* Second HDD    BBS(USB,,0x0)..GO..NO..........S.e.c.o.n.d. .H.D.D....................A...........................%8Ca..Z.....F..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.P.M.9.5.1. .N.V.M.e. .S.A.M.S.U.N.G. .2.5.6.G.B........BO
    to see GUID, also called partUUID
    lsblk -o name,mountpoint,label,size,fstype,uuid,partuuid | egrep -v "^loop"

Issues on Alienware are usually the same as many Dell systems. They use same UEFI with just the options adding features.

I do not see Alienware listed, although new Dell models are.
    https://github.com/rhboot/fwupdate/b...ster/README.md
    https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devicelist &
    https://fwupd.org/vendorlist

sudo efibootmgr -v
    The "-v" option displays all the entries so you can confirm you're deleting the right one, and then you use the combination of "-b ####" (to specify the entry) and "-B" (to delete it). Examples #5 is delete:, with Ubuntu you need sudo, others must be at root. some need all 4 hex chars, others only need significant digits
    sudo efibootmgr -b XXXX -B
    man efibootmgr
    http://linux.die.net/man/8/efibootmgr

To add new entry to have to specify drive & partition. UEFI normally defaults to sda1 (not sure if really sda1 or first drive and then would it default to your nmve drive?)

sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi" -d /dev/nvme0n1 -p 1

Others with sdX drive, drive & partition parameters not required if sda1.
    New Windows entry - assumes default sda1 add -d /dev/sda -p 2 if sda2:
    sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi"
    Last edited by oldfred; April 6th, 2020 at 03:48 PM.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi oldfred,
    Thank you very much for your detailed and educative response.
    I am not an expert at booting issues, so please bear with me.
    Taking your suggestions, the order of the commands I executed in the terminal are:
    Code:
    sudo efibootmgr -v
    sudo efibootmgr -b 0000 -B
    sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi" -d /dev/nvme0n1 -p 1
    On restarting, Windows loads on startup, but goes to the Recovery options again and sometimes into an 'Automatic Repair loop'.
    The grub menu now shows up on selecting Ubuntu in the Boot Menu only.(F12 key)

The /dev/sda partitions are:
    dev-sda-partitions.jpg
    The nvme partitions are:
    nvmePartitions.jpg
    The lsblk command returned:
    lsblkcommand.jpg
    The sudo efibootmgr -b 0000 -B command returned:
    -Bcommand.jpg
    The sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi" -d /dev/nvme0n1 -p 1 command returned:
    CreatingNewWindowsUEFIBootEntry.jpg
    The issue still persists but I hope I have shared useful information.
    Should I execute the below commands as well?
    Code:
    sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi" -d /dev/sda -p 2
    sudo efibootmgr -c -L "Windows Boot Manager" -l "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi"
    Please let me know. Thank you.
    Last edited by aryannc; April 6th, 2020 at 05:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can you boot Windows directly? If so does it boot normally or is the same as booting it via the new Grub entry?

Beans

I remember now, the device for boot loader installation drop-down to be selected as the 1TB HDD, while installing Ubuntu 18.04.04 LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The device for bootloader(s) installation is always the one where the ESP is. ESP = EFI System Partition. Where the main OS partition(s) are doesn't matter.

Please test my previous suggestion and give us feedback.

Beans

Hi CelticWarrior,
    Thank you for your interest.
    Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by the 'new' Grub entry, but Windows does not boot directly successfully, as it goes over to either recovery options or the Automatic Repair loop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do not run Windows UEFI entry for sda. That is just for reference for someone without an NVMe drive.
    It looks like you have added a valid Windows UEFI boot entry. That should boot, even when grub will not boot Windows.
    You may need f8 to get into repair console if issues, otherwise you need a repair/recovery Windows flash drive to fix it.

Commands run from terminal should be copy & pasted. If longer, you need to use code tags which are easy to add with forum's advanced editor & # icon.

How to use Code tags, # in advanced editor
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12776168

Do not know Windows repairs, other than all the generic fixes posted everywhere.
    You always should have a repair or recovery flash drive for the current version of every system you have installed. Or keep Ubuntu live installer on one flash drive and have Windows repair/recovery flash drive on another flash drive. I have those plus others like gparted, Supergrub, rEFInd, etc.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you for your swift response.
    How can I get grub to boot Windows? and do you mean that I should select the System Restore option in the Advanced Recovery Options for Windows?
    How may I create a repair/recovery drive when I cannot boot into Windows?
    What is the best route to take that you suggest.
    Please let me know.
    Thank you.

Beans

The error which Windows currently gives me is:
    Code:
    INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE
    Is there a way to fix this in Ubuntu?
    I'm a newbie but I feel there is only a small missing piece, as all this happened due to the bcdedit command I mentioned earlier.
    What do you think and suggest?
    Please let me know.
    Thanking you in advance.
    Last edited by aryannc; April 6th, 2020 at 06:10 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast