Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending / Receiving Files Wirelessly Between Ubuntu Computers?

Beans

Lightbulb Sending / Receiving Files Wirelessly Between Ubuntu Computers?

I have multiple computers in my house that run various versions of Linux Mint or Ubuntu, though soon they will all be running the upcoming Ubuntu 20.04 LTS ("Focal Fossa").

At the moment, if I want to move files between computers, I either put the relevant files onto a "thumb" / flash drive (for sensitive or large files) or I e-mail them to myself (for non-sensitive or small files)... Regardless of how I currently send / receive files though, it is a lot of mucking around.

What I would like to do - preferably using something with a graphical front-end (though I am not entirely opposed to a Terminal solution, if it's not too much mucking around) - is send / receive files between each computer wirelessly, over our wireless network...

Can anyone recommend a program which will allow me to do this?

Beans

Re: Sending / Receiving Files Wirelessly Between Ubuntu Computers?

The software you choose won't care if it's wireless or wired, imxp. There's the tried and true FTP, although if you plan on going outside your own network then SFTP would be better.

Are you looking to centralize the storage? or just individual files from time to time?

Beans

I would recommend using sftp. Install openssh-server on the computers you want to connect to, then use your normal file manager as the client (probably nautilus, but as I'm on xubuntu I use its default file manager thunar). To connect to another machine switch to a typed location (as opposed to buttons) and enter something like "sftp://username@ipaddress". Then you can drag and drop between that remote machine and local file manager windows. Picture attached.Screenshot_2020-04-05_11-40-04.png

You may also want to look at password-less logins: https://www.linuxbabe.com/linux-serv...less-ssh-login

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Teamviewer is another option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I would also suggest using ssh-server, but definitely suggest that you use it without passwords.

Here's the Ubuntu info on ssh, probably very similar to the link from The Cog.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH

Beans

Is there any reason not to use Samba? Works great for my local network. Can access both my Linux computers and the Windows network for the Windows computers in the house.

Beans

That's your first mention of Windows. Fine to use samba to share your Linux files to your Windows machines. But I would still recommend using ssh/sftp for LInux to Linux - it keeps all your file permissions and attributes.

Beans

Why would you want to keep all your file permissions and attributes?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Why would you want to keep all your file permissions and attributes?
    So they work on the other side? On Unix systems, the data is only 50% of what we need. Permissions are the other 50%.

Samba has all sorts of issues which can be easily avoided by using NFS or rsync or sftp.
    Samba doesn't support the complete set of Unix file names.
    Samba doesn't support owner, group, permissions.

These are bad things to lose.

Beans

Did anyone read the original post? Is everyone assuming that all these machines in his network are owned and operated by one user?

Anyhoo.... So I have a Linux box named ork. My username is mork.

I install the samba package.
    EDIT: Just to make it clear it's: sudo apt install samba

Then I create a public share of my ... well ... Public folder in /etc/samba/smb.conf:
    Code:
    [Public]
    path = /home/mork/Public
    guest ok = yes
    read only = No
    force user = mork
    Then restart smbd ( sudo service smbd restart ).

When Mindy on her Linux box wants to add a file to that share she enters my address in the location bar of her file manager or Connect to Server:
    Code:
    smb://ork.local/Public
    Shazbot, she can even create a bookmark to that location.

Whatever she adds to that share will be owned by mork on ork. Whatever she copies from the share will be owned by mindy.

Right now the OP is using USB sticks formatted in fat32 maybe NTFS so all the files will be owned by whoever mounts the device just like the samba share.
    Last edited by Morbius1; April 6th, 2020 at 10:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast