Thread: File system become read-only after some time

Beans

File system become read-only after some time

Hi all, hope you're all staying safe and making the best of the situation.

I'm having this problem with my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS that I don't know how to diagnose. What happens is after some time, often when the computer is unused but also in the middle of using it the filesystem seems to switch to read-only. I cannot save documents and some web pages stop working properly. There is no error that comes up when this happens and being unable to save is the only sign something has gone wrong.

Can anyone give me some guidance on things I can try to help find out what's wrong with the system?

Thanks very much in advance!

Beans

Re: File system become read-only after some time

Hi Will,

You are not, by any chance, running your Ubuntu in a dual boot arrangement with Windows 10 are you? Apparently Windows 10 updates can reset BIOS/UEFI fast startup to enabled when it had previously been disabled. Fast startup being enabled can cause such problems, it seems. If you do not have a dual boot arrangement, perhaps your BIOS/UEFI has Fast startup enabled anyway and this might be causing instability. The following link is where I gleaned the information so you might like to look: https://askubuntu.com/questions/9176...oot-win10?rq=1. Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Will1134 View Post
    What happens is after some time, often when the computer is unused but also in the middle of using it the filesystem seems to switch to read-only.
    This is standard behaviour when filesystem corruption is detected. Since you say that it's been happening a lot, I'd suspect drive failure. Back up anything important, run fsck and any other checks for drive integrity, but expect to be replacing the drive.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kesetyan View Post
    You are not, by any chance, running your Ubuntu in a dual boot arrangement with Windows 10 are you? Apparently Windows 10 updates can reset BIOS/UEFI fast startup to enabled when it had previously been disabled.
    That can happen, but it will only make the Windows partition read-only and it will only happen when you run Windows, not right in the middle of your Ubuntu session.

This sounds like a hardware problem. Check for loose connectors, a failing harddrive, even overheating can cause this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If anything goes wrong the first thing to check is /var/log/syslog. Could be a bit of problem if root filesystem becomes read-only though, but in this case running dmesg might help.

Beans

Thanks for the help so far. When CatKiller mentioned filesystem corruption I started copying files to a new drive (rsync). /home is already on a separate drive so I'm going to move all files than change that to being my /home location (which I think I've done before)

Also, no Windows on this computer. Connections seem fine and the drive was cool.

Thanks again, that might have saved a serious problem.