Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Graphic Cards Recommendation

Around 6 years ago I built my own PC, running Arch Linux:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
    RAM: 16GB

At the time I didn't need a graphic card. However, three years ago I decided to buy an ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB graphic card mainly for my 1440p monitor, mining Vertcoin(terrible idea), and lately playing a bit of Tekken on Steam.

Recently I have started editing 4K videos for YouTube every other week on Kdenlive, as I found it the most promising video editor on Linux. However, I found some performance issue, when playing the video live on the editor. I'm not really too sure if this issue is related to my GPU or Kdenlive. I even tried to install Davinci Resolve. Right away it told me my graphic card might be too slow to render certain files. However, I realized Davinci Resolve cannot even read the Videos from my camera. So I completely gave up on it.

I'm also not too sure how well these Nvidia drivers compared to AMD ones now. I came across a lot of positive comments about AMD GPUs on Linux. So I guess this time I'm going to buy an AMD GPU this time.

So now I'm back to the market to buy a more powerful GPU in $300 price range mainly to:

1. Edit 4K videos and RAW photos on Kdenlive and Darktable faster and smoother
    2. My wife may end up using the GPU for her big data processing
    3. Improve gaming experience with Steam for Linux. I mainly play Tekken and maybe PES if they ever support it

Note that I'm not too sure if my CPU and motherboard are important factors when it comes to buying a graphic card that plays well with them? I'm going to bump up my RAM to 32GB, which seems to be sufficient.

Thank you in advance.

Beans

Re: Graphic Cards Recommendation

Moved to the "Arch and derivatives" forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

You should do very well with either nVidia OR ATI. Both give excellent results for Linux.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

AFAIK in Arch the Nvidia drivers have to be manually installed. Which version are you running?