Thread: Desktop image thumbnails

Beans

Desktop image thumbnails

I've been wondering if this is normal on 20.04? My desktop image thumbnails are oversized. Its been like for a month but I figured its the dev branch so no big deal.

I am wondering now though if its just me, as I see no mention of it on this forum. Here's an example ( Its not my entire desktop, just the bottom left corner, so icons look larger overall. )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dynamitebeaver; April 5th, 2020 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Removed large image

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Desktop image thumbnails

Please do not post large images into your posts. Many of our users have slow internet connections and data limits. Large images can take a long time to load -- and may even cost a user extra money. Use the attachment functionality provided by the paperclip button above the text entry box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

With settings -> appearance -> icon size you can change the size of the icons in the dock as you prefer so your picture does not provide an image to compare the size of the desktop icon unless you specify the icon size you use.
    in my attachment the icons on desktop seems big because i have set the icon size to 20.
    what is the size of yours icons in the dock?

Edit: sorry, I found the background image you use and my icons appear of same size of yours
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by corradoventu; April 4th, 2020 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added attachment

Beans
    Hidden!

I have the exact same problem, been having it for maybe two months. In my case, thumbnails are stretched out, but icons are normal. And that seems to be the problem: things represented by icons look fine, but where thumbnails are used in place of icons, they are stretched out. I've noticed this especially with pdf's, mp4's, and photos. It's only true on the desktop; if there are subfolders on the desktop, their contents appear normal within those subfolders.

Beans

This is a common problem maybe. I also faced this problem. Maybe Your graphics firmware are I think.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tareqjhe12 View Post
    This is a common problem maybe. I also faced this problem. Maybe Your graphics firmware are I think.
    I'm on an XPS13 with a Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics (CML GT2). Same issue on Wayland & Xorg.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Please do not post large images into your posts. Many of our users have slow internet connections and data limits. Large images can take a long time to load -- and may even cost a user extra money. Use the attachment functionality provided by the paperclip button above the text entry box.
    I changed it to an attachment, thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Sometime in the past day or so this was fixed on my systems: thumbnail images displayed on the desktop are again normal sized. It might have happened with this morning's updates - Friday 17 April - or it might have happened yesterday.