Thread: sftp to server in nautilus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

sftp to server in nautilus?

I used to be able to browse in other servers from nautilus, but my configuration procedure no longer works. Advice?

I'm doing this:
    • Fire up nautilus
    • Click "Other Locations"
    • For "Connect to Server", enter (eg) "sftp://myserver.com:2020", where "myserver.com" is the domain name, and "2222" is the ssh port number (intentionally _not_ port 22)
    • Click "Connect"
    • Nautilus used to respond with a dialog that allowed me to enter the username and password for the connection. Now it responds "Permission denied".

Is there a way to convince it to pop up the authentication dialog?
    If not, is there a way to store the username/password combination in ~/.config/nautilus? (I can't find any information on that file structure).
    Building better Magic Elevators, since 1952

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: sftp to server in nautilus?

is the ssh client package installed on the machine?

Code:
    sudo apt install openssh-client
    That is just a guess. i don't use nautilus.

Obviously, the remote systems must have the openssh-server package installed, configured. Hopefully, you also install fail2ban for protection on those machines too.

Really, passwords are a terrible idea. Just takes 2 commands to setup ssh-key authentication between a client and the servers. Getting prompted just once every 4 hrs to unlock the key is pretty nice AND much more secure than using passwords.
    Last edited by TheFu; April 4th, 2020 at 04:31 AM.

Beans

Debug it from the command line with 'ssh -vvv...' to see the error messages.

If it doesn't work from Bash, then it won't work from Nautilus.

Beans
    Distro

Hi, The Fu ...

Yep, ssh is installed (I use it frequently). I'm also using ssh-key authentication, with .ssh/authorized_keys at the server(s) end.

> dpkg --list | grep openssh-client
    ii openssh-client 1:7.6p1-4ubuntu0.3 amd64 secure shell (SSH) client, for secure access to remote machines

Beans
    Distro

Hi, HermanAB ...

Direct ssh and sftp (from a bash shell) works to the same machine I'm trying to access in nautilus.

I'm fine with using bash, but a co-worker finds the bash learning curve too steep, and needs a gui method instead. It doesn't have to be nautilus, any app with a gui that could do this will be fine.
    Last edited by MgFrobozz; April 4th, 2020 at 07:33 PM.

Beans

OK, if the command line works, then that eliminates all network routing problems - meaning that your problem is purely with Nautilus.

If you launch Nautilus from a Gnome menu, then you cannot see any error messages. Launch Nautilus from Bash and see what errors you get.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Whenever I've used sftp:// in the URI for any Linux file manager, it has always worked. Don't remember doing anything special, ever, but I use caja perhaps 1-2 times a year, so I'm hardly an expert. Caja is the Mate file manager.

Hummmm. Just tried it with caja and it worked fine.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/3498...a-remote-serve
    Seems like that should "just work." $ sftp lubuntu is working between the same machines too. Whenever that's happened before for other programs, it was usually
    * firejail confinement
    * snap confinement
    * remote system firewall

Used it to a system without ssh-keys setup and was prompted for credentials, then allowed in. Tried 5 different systems. They all worked.

So, it should be working fine. Can you tail -f /var/log/auth.log while attempting the connections? The logs should provide some google-ible lines.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks HermanAB and TheFu ...

I found "nemo" (a fork of nautilus?), and installed it ("sudo apt install nemo"). Alt-F2, then run "nemo" and

• From the nemo menu, Click "File/Connect to Server ..."
    • For "Server", enter the alias name from ~/.ssh/config
    • For "Type", select "SSH"
    • For "Folder", select the home folder for the appropriate user on the server
    • Leave "User Name" and "Password" empty (nemo will use the credentials from ~/.ssh/config)
    • Click "Connect"

After installing nemo, one needs to do this to hide nautilus and show nemo:

• Right-click "Applications" and select "Edit Menus"
    • Click "Accessories"
    • There will be two "Files" icons. Right-click on each and select "Properties"
    • Make sure only the icon using nemo has "Show" selected"
    • Click "Close"

(Btw, if you do this in nemo, the ssh mount will also show up in nautilus.)
    Last edited by MgFrobozz; April 4th, 2020 at 09:00 PM.