Thread: How to read partition ?

Beans

How to read partition ?

What does /dev/xvda1 mean ?

Can I say it is a partition 1 in xvda disk in the device ?
    Last edited by sanko50; April 2nd, 2020 at 07:02 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: How to read partition ?

I believe that nomenclature to be particular to Xen hypervisors and it represents the first partition of a Xen virtual block device.

Is this on a cloud such as AWS or the like?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

yes. this is in AWS EC2 Amazon Linux 2
    Can you please reply to the original post ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sanko50 View Post
    Can you please reply to the original post ?
    I believe he already did. Maybe you should ask for additional information directly to the service provider instead in a dedicated Ubuntu forum?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    I believe he already did. Maybe you should ask for additional information directly to the service provider instead in a dedicated Ubuntu forum?
    I could not understand it.

that Xen hypervisors are hard to understand. He asked a query , whether it is AWS or not. ..Is the answer still is a "YES" ?
    Last edited by sanko50; April 2nd, 2020 at 01:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sanko50 View Post
    I could not understand it.

that Xen hypervisors are hard to understand. He asked a query , whether it is AWS or not. ..Is the answer still is a "YES" ?
    Seems like the answer was as clear and complete as possible. Use google to look up any terms you don't understand like "xen hypervisor" and read until it makes sufficient sense. Honestly, that part really isn't too important. There are multiple different hypervisors commonly in use on VPS providers today. Depending on the virtual disk controller used by each hypervisor, the virtual disk device names can change slightly.

The original question used an ambiguous term "read" - that could be read by a human or read by assorted programs. it could mean "understand" or "parse" too. English isn't always exact.

Google found this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/5692...-naming-scheme
    but I’m not certain it provides information you seek. xvda is just a specific storage type. vda is commonly seen for KVM hypervisors.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Seems like the answer was as clear and complete as possible. Use google to look up any terms you don't understand like "xen hypervisor" and read until it makes sufficient sense. Honestly, that part really isn't too important. There are multiple different hypervisors commonly in use on VPS providers today. Depending on the virtual disk controller used by each hypervisor, the virtual disk device names can change slightly.

The original question used an ambiguous term "read" - that could be read by a human or read by assorted programs. it could mean "understand" or "parse" too. English isn't always exact.

Google found this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/5692...-naming-scheme
    but I’m not certain it provides information you seek. xvda is just a specific storage type. vda is commonly seen for KVM hypervisors.
    Thanks for the post.

You are confusing me with arguments.

Simple Question is :

/dev/xvda1 = > Can I refer it as a partition 1 in xvda disk in the device ( OS is AWS Amazon Linux 2) .... YES/NO ?

question is about nomenclature and convention.

Period.

Anyway, forget it. There is no clear answer here, I'll check it out.
    Last edited by sanko50; April 3rd, 2020 at 04:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I gave you a clear answer:

I believe that nomenclature to be particular to Xen hypervisors and it represents the first partition of a Xen virtual block device. If you did not understand the answer, it would have been quite simple to say that. I'd have been happy to explain further.

The query was a a fact-finding, open-ended question that might have led to more detailed discussion that might be helpful to you.
    Last edited by QIII; April 3rd, 2020 at 05:29 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1660...v-xvda1-device (from 7 yrs ago) says that it is a storage device for a really old version of Xen. Amazon switched to using KVM many years ago, which would use different device names, typically vda or sda.

xvda1 could be called the first partition of xvda and that is probably the most likely answer, but without seeing the disk partition layout, nobody can really say, since "first" could mean "first created" even if it is located on the end of the disk device ... in the last position. Partition numbers are based on creation order, not placement on the storage devices.

sudo parted -lm would be helpful to see the layout and other devices.
    more /etc/os-release would be helpful too - the "pretty name"

There aren't always answers that are perfectly clear in the world.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1660...v-xvda1-device (from 7 yrs ago) says that it is a storage device for a really old version of Xen. Amazon switched to using KVM many years ago, which would use different device names, typically vda or sda.

xvda1 could be called the first partition of xvda and that is probably the most likely answer, but without seeing the disk partition layout, nobody can really say, since "first" could mean "first created" even if it is located on the end of the disk device ... in the last position. Partition numbers are based on creation order, not placement on the storage devices.

sudo parted -lm would be helpful to see the layout and other devices.
    more /etc/os-release would be helpful too - the "pretty name"

There aren't always answers that are perfectly clear in the world.
    Thanks a lot. that cleared a lot of doubt.

Thanks again for your time.