Thread: Media player

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Media player

For years I have been trying to find a suitable media player for Lubuntu. The only one I've been able to find that comes close to what I need is Rhythmbox and it totally sucks. It's horribly slow and crashes constantly. My needs are fairly simple (I think): I want the database that Rhythmbox has so I can view my entire library, and it must include "play count" and "last played" columns. It would be great if it played videos too. I tried Clementine, but the "play count" and "last played" columns don't work, and it doesn't seem to handle foreign characters very well. Any advice?
    In computers:
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same result.
    Failure is not only an option, it's usually the first option.
    If it works, it must need upgrading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Media player

Hi Donnie,

I've tried a number of players and I have come to really like Audacious. I haven't looked into every feature it has but I think it may have most, with the exception of playing videos. It seems pretty customizable. VLC, however, does play both music and video so that's another one you may want to look into. Both of these can be installed from the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Media player

I've used Audacious. I like its stability. I've had very few problems with it. Still, I can't see my entire library unless I put it all in one playlist and manually keep it up to date. Also it doesn't have the "play count" or "last played" features. VLC is a pain in the ass. I have a hard time getting it to work right, and I don't think it does playlists.
    In computers:
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same result.
    Failure is not only an option, it's usually the first option.
    If it works, it must need upgrading.