https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-10..._type=deblocal

The last instruction sudo apt-get -y install cudagets this:

Code:
    pavel@ALABAMA:~/installers$ sudo apt-get -y install cuda
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package cuda
    I addressed this problem to the NVIDIA forum, but based on my experience, a response can be expected in a few days.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion
    Last edited by slickymaster; March 31st, 2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: code tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't install CUDA

In your other thread, specifically in post #18 , it shows 3 different driver versions installed: 390, 418 and 440. This is, in a nutshell, a horrible mess.

As CatKiller correctly pointed out:
    The Nvidia driver doesn't switch between branches cleanly, so the first thing to do is to remove whichever version you've got before you install the new one.
    Removing previous versions is typically done by running
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    before installing the new version.

So, in summary, what's happening now with the (very confusing) Nvidia's instructions is anyone's guess.

Beans

Sure, it was done before installation.
    Probably it doesn't matter, in /var folder I still see this:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by py-ohayo View Post

Sure, it was done before installation.
    Once again you're asserting things that are disproved by the results. If you had purged the older drivers only 440 version would show up but this is what you posted before (in bold what shouldn't or probably shouldn't be there):

Code:
    rc  cuda-nvtx-10-1                                     10.1.243-1                                       amd64        NVIDIA Tools Extension
    rc  cuda-nvtx-10-2                                     10.2.89-1                                        amd64        NVIDIA Tools Extension
    ii  libnvidia-cfg1-440:amd64                           440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA binary OpenGL/GLX configuration library
    ii  libnvidia-common-418                               418.87.00-0ubuntu1                               all          Shared files used by the NVIDIA libraries
    ii  libnvidia-common-440                               440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               all          Shared files used by the NVIDIA libraries
    rc  libnvidia-compute-390:i386                         390.116-0ubuntu0.18.04.1                         i386         NVIDIA libcompute package
    rc  libnvidia-compute-418:amd64                        418.87.00-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA libcompute package
    ii  libnvidia-compute-440:amd64                        440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA libcompute package
    ii  libnvidia-decode-440:amd64                         440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA Video Decoding runtime libraries
    ii  libnvidia-encode-440:amd64                         440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVENC Video Encoding runtime library
    ii  libnvidia-fbc1-440:amd64                           440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL-based Framebuffer Capture runtime library
    ii  libnvidia-gl-440:amd64                             440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL/GLX/EGL/GLES GLVND libraries and Vulkan ICD
    ii  libnvidia-ifr1-440:amd64                           440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA OpenGL-based Inband Frame Readback runtime library
    rc  nvidia-compute-utils-418                           418.87.00-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA compute utilities
    ii  nvidia-compute-utils-440                           440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA compute utilities
    rc  nvidia-dkms-418                                    418.87.00-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA DKMS package
    ii  nvidia-dkms-440                                    440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA DKMS package
    ii  nvidia-driver-440                                  440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA driver metapackage
    rc  nvidia-kernel-common-418                           418.87.00-0ubuntu1                               amd64        Shared files used with the kernel module
    ii  nvidia-kernel-common-440                           440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        Shared files used with the kernel module
    ii  nvidia-kernel-source-440                           440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA kernel source package
    ii  nvidia-prime                                       0.8.8.2                                          all          Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
    ii  nvidia-settings                                    440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
    ii  nvidia-utils-440                                   440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA driver support binaries
    ii  xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-440                      440.33.01-0ubuntu1                               amd64        NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
    Please note that CUDA 10.2 is in bold here only because you explicitly said you want 10.1 for compatibility reasons. In itself not a problem, unlike the presence of older Nvidia drivers presence.

Beans

The screenshot you posted correspond to the beginning of my troubles with driver problem.
    Then, when the problem with drivers was resolved, I tried to install CUDA.
    In one post that I've found on the web, indeed, someone proposed to purge nvidia*.
    But I didn't realize that it remove also drivers.
    Well, I have to restart with driver installation ... indeed command nvidia-smi isn't found.
    One question nevertheless: assuming that driver is correctly installed, should I remove 2 cuda-related folders in /var ?
    Thanks.

Beans

I reinstalled NVIDIA drivers, nvidia-smi get proper result, but I still can't install CUDA using the official NVIDIA tutorial:
    https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-10.1-download-archive-update2?target_os=Linux&target_arch=x86_64&target_ distro=Ubuntu&target_version=1804&target_type=debl ocal
    The last instruction sudo apt-get -y install cuda gets this:
    E: Unable to locate package cuda
    It starts to annoy me. Has anyone successfully installed this CUDA ???
    I posted my quest on the NVIDIA forum, but it is unlikely that I will be able to get an answer in the near future.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Those instructions are awful. There are more thorough, but no less confusing - the Nvidia site really is terrible - instructions elsewhere on the same site. Using wget to download some random file and running it is simply terrible, terrible advice. Don't do that.

Aside from that, the method that you've followed of cloning a snapshot of the whole CUDA repository (twice, in your case) is a pretty wasteful plan. Both in terms of bandwidth and hard drive space. And it makes your sources.list look all manky. You'd do that if you were doing CUDA stuff with a bunch of computers, not just checking it out with a single computer, and it would be part of a specific plan.

There's a much more standard way of simply adding a new repository entry to your sources.list - although Nvidia insist on distributing that through a .deb file, too, because Nvidia. Then it's just part of your standard package management. I forget what they call the option - it's something like "network install," which would mean something else to everyone that isn't Nvidia - and I'm not about to browse their abomination of a site on my phone to check.

You also don't want to install the cuda metapackage for all the reasons we discussed in your other thread. I believe it's the cuda-toolkit-10-1 metapackage that you're after.

Don't forget to run apt update after you've made changes to your repository lists if you want new packages and new versions of packages to be available to your package manager.

Beans

Thanks.
    Aside from that, the method that you've followed of cloning a snapshot of the whole CUDA repository (twice, in your case) is a pretty wasteful plan
    twice, in your case ... You mean 2 cuda-related folders in var (sorry I'm not strong in Linux) ?
    Should I remove them before starting new attempt of install CUDA once a reliable approach is found ?

There is another approach that uses run file. I'll try it now:
    https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-10...e=runfilelocal

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Never use the run file.

It makes sense to clear out all your previous attempts before you do another one. You'd need to remove the entries in sources.list.d that refer to those local repositories, too.

Beans

Never use the run file.

But what can I do now? Continue to search on the web for some reliable manual ?
    Here is another quite exhaustive manual on how to install whole TensorFlow related staff.
    https://www.pyimagesearch.com/2019/1...2-0-on-ubuntu/
    Although already outdated, the section on CUDA install uses approach, based on run file.

It makes sense to clear out all your previous attempts before you do another one. You'd need to remove the entries in sources.list.d that refer to those local repositories, to
    So, I remove the folders cuda-repo-10-1-local-10.1.243-418.87.00 and cuda-repo-10-2-local-10.2.89-440.33.01 from /var
    In sources.list.d I remove this files:
    Code:
    pavel@ALABAMA:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ ls
    graphics-drivers-ubuntu-ppa-bionic.list
    graphics-drivers-ubuntu-ppa-bionic.list.save
    Correct ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast