Thread: Why do I get a (Faceook) Tracking Warning when I visit ubuntuforums.org

Beans

Question Why do I get a (Faceook) Tracking Warning when I visit ubuntuforums.org

Hi,

When I visit:

https://ubuntuforums.org/

Firefox warns me about tracking:

Am I the only one concerned that an Open Source support site is collaborating with the Commercial Company that is argueably the most insidious and pervasive offender and violator of our rights to personal privacy ?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, or try to explain to me why this is allowed, permitted and apparently condoned.

Thanks
    Rich

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Why do I get a (Faceook) Tracking Warning when I visit ubuntuforums.org

I don't get any warnings in firefox (74.0), but it could also be it's stopped by privacy.badger, or the 105 lines in my /etc/hosts file that route fb hosts to 127.0.0.1 (along with a few other sites), or something else I've done.

I suspect some users of the site would like facebook-thumbs-up. I don't want to see it, and thus I don't (which can be done in many ways).

I am aware of younger audiences (and some my age) that expect it, and see it as a negative when it's not there (younger being relative; real young would want other sites possibly instead)

If you don't like it, why not just make a quick change (like me), and it'll disappear.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thread moved to Forum, Feedback and Help.

Neither do I get warnings in Firefox, but that may be down to my use of ublock Origin. Or maybe not - I can't be bothered to check.

I don't like Facebook, but guiverc makes a good point. There are members of this forum who do use Facebook. We cannot please everyone.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thanks for the responses ...

Yes, I blocked it - Firefox warned me - I took appropriate action.

@guiverc
    I suspect some users of the site would like facebook-thumbs-up.
    The 'thumbs-up option' is just a sneaky insidious way to force any 3rd party site to call code from facebook.com and track user behaviour.

It opens up tracking of behaviour even when you are not logged into Facebook.

It's stealth privacy invasion.

Facebook and Mark Zuckerborg are not offering:

• "Here, have a thumbs-up."

They are saying:

• "Give me your personal data so we can sell it."

It is one thing saying I can block it if I want to.

Meh.

That's like saying you have the right to hit me until I ask you to stop.

Why is UbuntuForums aiding and abetting this abuse.

That's my question.

Facebook reportedly thinks there's no 'expectation of privacy

May 31, 2019 - "There is no invasion of privacy at all, because there is no privacy," Facebook counsel Orin Snyder said during a pretrial hearing to dismiss a lawsuit stemming ...

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-r...-social-media/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You don't like what you see. Others don't like that there is not enough Facebook integration. We get it from both sides.

I'm not sure that changing it would be within our bailiwick in any case. None of the Staff, including the Admins, are employees of of Canonical and we do not have any control over the development of the actual website programming. We have very limited control of a few things based on what is left to us by the vBulletin software.

I don't personally care for "opt-out" arrangements or having to actively block things I don't want. Opt-in seems more appropriate to me. But I, like you, am one person with one opinion. The fact is that there are ad blockers and script blockers precisely because, like it or not, the web is that sort of place.

We can stand on principal (if such we decide on), refuse to take part in it and let the Forums disappear; or we can hold our tongues, grit our teeth and make ourselves available to help other users.
    Last edited by QIII; March 31st, 2020 at 04:32 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.