Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zoom Communications Services

Beans

Re: Zoom Communications Services

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Much easier to use sudo apt install rather than sudo dpkg install as apt will sort out and install all the dependencies automatically and does not need the manual installation of those dependencies.
    I always thought apt was used to retrieve software from the repositories, while dpkg was used to install stand-alone programs (rather like the difference between yum and rpm on RedHat systems).

So, yes, running "sudo dpkg /path/to/zoom_amd64.deb" brought in the needed dependencies. It ended with this error:
    Code:
    N: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file '/tmp/mozilla_phl0/zoom_amd64.deb' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)
    but Zoom itself works as advertised.

Thanks for the tip!
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 2nd, 2020 at 12:27 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    …It ended with this error:
    Code:
    N: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file '/tmp/mozilla_phl0/zoom_amd64.deb' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)
    To get rid of the error, you need to:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R _apt:root /tmp/mozilla_phl0 && sudo chmod -R 755 /tmp/mozilla_phl0
    Because _apt has no rights to traverse the directory, the apt process falls back to root. The process still completes, but for tidyness's sake, it's nice to eliminate the error.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Group chats of up to 100 are possible.
    Thanks for that
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I always thought apt was used to retrieve software from the repositories, while dpkg was used to install stand-alone programs (rather like the difference between yum and rpm on RedHat systems).

Thanks for the tip!
    You are partly correct about that.
    Local .deb packages can, however, be installed with apt but not apt-get; that's a big advantage of the move to apt from apt-get in my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey-p View Post
    I didn't want to install the .DEB package outside of the repository. So, I installed the snap package instead.

One minor issue I encountered is that the camera was disabled in the "limited environment" of snap. So, I had to enter a command to map the laptop camera:
    snap uses an "environment"? i thought it was just a different way to organize where files were installed. is it a container?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro

if someone were to set up a web site that allowed people to have group communications (simple meetings) without running a proprietary application or just in a web browser, what do you think they might be using on the user/client side a/o as the communication protocol?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    if someone were to set up a web site that allowed people to have group communications (simple meetings) without running a proprietary application or just in a web browser, what do you think they might be using on the user/client side a/o as the communication protocol?
    https://xmpp.org/

Beans
    Distro

is that doable in just a web browser on each end?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Not being a dev of any kind, I have no idea. All I know is that a number of apps are based on it: aTAlk, Movim, Conversations, Quicksy, Xabber Jabber, and those two granddaddies of them all, MAXS and Jabber. Jitsi also supports it and it has a nice browser-only implementation, so I'm guessing that what you are asking would not be a problem. Further details will need to come from someone who actually knows something about it.

Beans
    Distro

now i'm thinking of building a script that launches server instances in a cloud that does this kind of thing without the need to download any extension or software and can work in any web browser. while i have seen websites that can play videos under those restrictions (YouTube being the first mention), i have never seen one that can take your video and audio at the same time. i don't know if that can be done on all the major web browsers. the idea is, if you want to run your own group video, just get a cloud account and run the script. i would like for all that it runs to be FOSS. schools might be interested.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast