Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zoom Communications Services

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Zoom Communications Services

has anyone here tried Zoom on Ubuntu, yet? does it work for you? which browser(s) or client(s) work?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Zoom Communications Services

Yes, it works fine for me using Chrome and the standalone Zoom .deb which you can download from Zoom. Very easy to use and the quality is OK!
    $> cd /pub
    $> more beer

Beans

I'm using the standalone client for Linux as well. As I recall, I had to install a couple of other packages manually.

After downloadin the .deb, I ran

Code:
    $ sudo dpkg -i zoom_amd64.deb 
    [sudo] password for xxx: 
    Selecting previously unselected package zoom.
    (Reading database ... 250645 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack zoom_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking zoom (3.5.374815.0324) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of zoom:
     zoom depends on libgl1-mesa-glx; however:
      Package libgl1-mesa-glx is not installed.
     zoom depends on libxcb-xtest0; however:
      Package libxcb-xtest0 is not installed.
     zoom depends on ibus; however:
      Package ibus is not installed.
    After running
    Code:
    sudo apt intall ibus libgl1-mesa-glx libxcb-xtest0
    the client runs flawlessly.

I'm using Kubuntu. Those packages might be included in other flavors of Ubuntu.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

is this something PPA would be good for?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

I don't think that's possible. The Zoom client is a proprietary binary. I doubt the source code is publicly available.

They have a GitHub repository, https://github.com/zoom, but I don't see the client source, and there's nothing there for Linux per se.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

i'm just thinking that their binary .deb could be put in a private repository so it can be upgraded by them when needed.

also, since it is binary and proprietary, i'm thinking out how to run it in isolation. a VM is overkill. but a container might do (lxc is probably sufficient). i don't want to let it see my system (users, files, /etc). i think i can be safe enough running Xorg outside of the container and run everything else inside (with essential net access that i can tcpdump if i need to).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Easier way, Skaperen would be simply to use reprepro.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianRepository/Setup#reprepro

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

From a security perspective: https://protonmail.com/blog/zoom-privacy-issues/

In our understandable rush to offset social distancing with virtual bonding, these concerns sometimes get overlooked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My wife and I used it sunday for a religious service. Worked great even on our 11mbit connection. Actually had 2 connections, 1 being at my parents place across the yard. We had 70+ participants without trouble. We will be doing this twice a week for the foreseeable future. The .deb even at 14.04 worked just fine on Xenial.

Just wanted to add that we weren't able to use the test audio option. It worked anyway off of Hdmi on the living room tv. The option was greyed out.

*EDIT* mean to say bionic, not xenial. I'm assuming it works fine there as well.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; March 31st, 2020 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My Christian community has just started using Zoom for their meetings. I installed the Zoom client for Ubuntu. Yes it is for 14.04 but it works fine on Ubuntu 18.04. I have one gripe with Zoom (apart from the privacy concerns, that is).

The application does not come with a help document. I could not find any information on how to indicate that I wished to participate in the conference. And there is a lot of audience participation in our Christian meetings. I have now found out how to do it but at the time I did not fancy clicking everything in sight during the actual meeting.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast