Thread: Tor Browser freeze

Beans

Tor Browser freeze

Hello all,
    I am using a Zareason Strata on Ubuntu 18.04. I am unable to launch the Tor Browser, even though it is installed and appears in my applications. When I try to launch the Tor Browser, it has frozen my entire laptop while going through the "verifying" stage; the only way I was able to to end this freeze was through closing the lid on my laptop, logging on, and immediately forcing quit for the Tor Browser.
    I also noticed that my terminal apparently doesn't recognize the
    Code:
    $
    command in the following code I cut and pasted from this website:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher
    This code is when I tried to reinstall the Tor Browser, having forgotten that years ago I had successfully installed and launched it, if only once, before not being able to use it again, and forgetting about it… In any case, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if they could help me? That would be very much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Tor Browser freeze

If you're trying to reinstall then the command should be

Code:
    sudo apt install --reinstall torbrowser-launcher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Tor Browser freeze

The '$' prompt is a Unix standard to show you are in a shell, as a non-privileged user. Basically, not root.
    A root prompt would be shown with the '#' prompt.

These nomenclatures are explained very, very, early in any Unix/Linux training and all books. We all forget that really new people often don't know these basic things.