Thread: HD Crash or viruses

Beans

HD Crash or viruses

Hi,
    I'm using my 8 years old PC with windows XP and a recertified hard disk.
    Now it happened that windows didn't start and I had to reinstall it. But I had first to delete some files with CRC errors. It looks it worked but to be safe I bought a new hard drive.

Now my problem: with my old hard drive I could start Ubuntu and saw the desktop but couldn't install it. I think it was trapped in a loop.

With my new drive only Ubuntu crashes my system and I never saw the desktop. A older version makes that worse.

If you are interested I could activate XP with my old drive but not with my new drive. Microsoft told me "no support"

Beans

Re: HD Crash or viruses

Microsoft and Ubuntu will not care much which hard drive they are put on, as long as it is working. Would make sure new hard drive is connected and is tight. Main problems people run into usually deals with CPUs and graphic cards/drivers, and maybe lack of/bad ram. Ubuntu likes 2GBs or more ram, but some versions will work with less.

Beans

Hi crip
    I have 4 GB of ram but cannot say that it is to 100% full working.
    But I can play videos and because I had to backup my old data and copy it back to the new drive I can say that the system runs stable for hours.

But ... It's a homemade PC. And after I build it I had to use a keyboard with USB interface. The onboard PS2 connector was broken. Windows never cared about that???!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

XP has not received security updates for years. You should consider your personal security breached.

Install only a supported version of Buntu and after that change all passwords which have been entered while using XP.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

On the other hand,

with my new drive I tried to install Ubuntu. I had to format the drive but then I should make it a "boot". Because I didn't knew how I installed Windows XP and it worked until I installed the service pack 3. Windows told me then it didn't found the registrations ... Then I formatted the new drive with the windows CD and now I think I have a stable system. But because I can't activate windows I need another solution ... I really don't understand what happened but with my new drive I can't start Ubuntu from DVD!

I also experience many problems to login to this forum ... It's the hell

Sorry mörgaes,
    Windows XP is safe and your answer could be from Microsoft
    Last edited by howefield; February 18th, 2021 at 09:21 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The answer from Microsoft is here:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...ows-xp-support

I agree with first part of it.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

And I'm using Windows XP since 6 years without a problem except from my HD crash. I'll use it to watch videos I cut myself and don't use online games.

For secure reasons I have many email accounts at some smartphones. That's why I registered to this forum with an email account from another smartphone. But luckily I could now access this forum with my new phone without that email account.

Windows XP is safe how I use it but my question is how to install Ubuntu.
    I've tried Linux many years ago but always failed installing it at other PCs. I could use Warp OS from IBM without a problem.

How to make Ubuntu work ... I don't know what a supported version of buntu is or how to get it?

Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading. 👈 I looked at your link and that will not work as long Ubuntu forces my system to restart when trying to start it from DVD.

I think the best solution will be to install windows XP every month. That takes me about 3 hours ... Sorry Linux community, make it easier

I have an AMD A10 with onboard graphics. Most likely enough power for Ubuntu.
    Last edited by howefield; February 18th, 2021 at 09:22 PM. Reason: posts merged.