Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18.04: Flashing Line At Bottom Of Screen

Beans

18.04: Flashing Line At Bottom Of Screen

Since yesterday I have had a flashing line at the bottom of the screen in all apps. The flashing is very distracting. I saw a post online saying to switch to Ubuntu on Wayland and that resolved it, but now it is back again. What could be the issue here? Should I log into Wayland instead each day. Otherwise this laptop has been fine for the past 1.5 years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 18.04: Flashing Line At Bottom Of Screen

I can't picture what you're describing but certainly it has something to do with graphics and drivers.

If Wayland works for you there's no reason not to use it. It will likely became the default soon.

Beans

Okay I can switch to Wayland.

I KNOW and if I take a pic of it with my phone or do a screengrab, it is really hard to even see.

Beans

Screenshot from 2020-03-29 13-25-15.jpg

Okay I got a pic. I hope it's visible to others.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Is that image using Wayland? Are you saying that the behavior does not occur with Wayland but does otherwise?

I, for one, do not hope Wayland will be the default soon. So long as the Wayland developers continue their unilateral attitude that "users should not be doing this" and "users should not need to do that", I won't support Wayland. As soon as the Wayland developers accept that they are not the arbiters of who should be doing what with their systems, I might get behind Wayland.

A new, shiny car that does not let me turn right because the designers believe I shouldn't need to turn right is of no use to me -- even if I am experienced enough to know I should not turn right.
    Last edited by QIII; March 29th, 2020 at 06:58 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

OH that image is from regular Ubuntu 18.04...sorry!

So far doesn't occur in Wayland

Beans

Just to update it seems switching to Wayland solved the issue.

Beans

Unfortunately even in Wayland the blinking line is still coming back from time to time.

Beans

If your laptop has an available connection, try using an external monitor and observe if the same problem appears. You can try changing display settings like reducing the resolution and refresh rates, however I don't think any of that will fix your issue: It really looks and sounds more like a hardware problem; likely an intermittent connection internal to the display module itself. You could try opening the laptop, and checking the display module system board connector; possibly cleaning the contacts with at least 70% rubbing alcohol. I suspect none of that will work, and you may just have to just replace the display. You can get replacements from a number of online suppliers.

Beans

Wow, that is really disappointing at this laptop is barely two years old. I paid good money for this System76 laptop, so that is frustrating.

If I reboot, it DOES go away. Will it get worse at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast