Thread: Prevent users from shutting down Ubuntu desktops

Beans

Prevent users from shutting down Ubuntu desktops

I'm looking for a way to disable the shutdown button in Ubuntu desktop to prevent my users from shutdown their desktops. They can logout, reboot etc, but not shutdown. I couldn't find a working way to get it done using polkit.

How can I get this done? Please help.

Beans

Re: Prevent users from shutting down Ubuntu desktops

I don't know if this would work, but perhaps rename /usr/sbin/shutdown and sym-link it to /usr/sbin/reboot instead?
    Of course, that depends on the button calling the executable which I don't know if it works that way.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

don't know if this will help but in xubuntu you can right click on user name in top right,\, select properties and uncheck shutdown and any other entries.

Beans

There are 50+ users in the box. The configuration should effect all users in order prevent them from shutting down. Polkit seems to be the best way to do it. Can some one help specifically in polkit?

Beans

I managed to get it working.

Create a file /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/10-onlyrestart.pkla with below content

Code:
    [OnlyRestart]Identity=unix-user:*
    Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop;org.freedesktop.login1.power-off;org.freedesktop.login1.power-off-multiple-sessions;org.xfce.session.xfsm-shutdown-helper;org.freedesktop.login1.suspend;org.freedesktop.login1.suspend-multiple-sessions;org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate;org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-multiple-sessions;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users
    ResultInactive=no
    ResultActive=no

This will only enable Logout and Restart button in the dialog box.