Thread: what program does Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R run in Gnome be default?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

what program does Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R run in Gnome be default?

what program does Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R run in Gnome by default?

Google tells me to press that key combination to start/stop recording my screen. it doesn't do anything. this could be because i'm running Xfce under Xubuntu. i'd like to set this up on my system running .
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: what program does Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R run in Gnome be default?

It's gnome shell's screencasting feature.
    It's built into gnome shell.
    As far as I know there is no separate program.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You might want to look at SimpleScreenRecorder - it can be set up to respond to a 'hot key', using pre-configured options. I suspect there are more choices, but that's the only one I've used.

Freebird54
    | Xubuntu 20.04 / Arch rolling XFCE/ MX-19 patito feo / Arcolinux 20.5.7 rolling / EndeavourOS rolling XFCE / Ubuntu Unity 20.04 / Arch rolling Cinnamon / EndeavorsOS rolling Budgie / Arch rolling XFCE-compiz / Kubuntu 20.04 |

Beans
    Distro

reading the docs for SSR give me worry that it might not work for me. there is a library to install for running 32-bit applications on 64-bit systems. that suggests to me that it works by intercepting library calls in the application process.

i will be opening windows from remote machines (cloud instances). i also want to record the view of the Xfce stuff and other processes that are already running before starting the recording, including workspace switching.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro

i think that what i need is a recorder that interfaces with the X server itself. i know some programs, such as one of the VNC tools, have a way to view the whole screen but i don't know how fast that can be done. i probably don't need it to be very fast. the screenshot capture programs seem to do it very fast.

do i need to write my own?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Did you know that some of the questions here are posted by people who know even less than I do? Not the case here...

Sorry... couldn't help you

Freebird54
    | Xubuntu 20.04 / Arch rolling XFCE/ MX-19 patito feo / Arcolinux 20.5.7 rolling / EndeavourOS rolling XFCE / Ubuntu Unity 20.04 / Arch rolling Cinnamon / EndeavorsOS rolling Budgie / Arch rolling XFCE-compiz / Kubuntu 20.04 |

Beans
    Distro

no problem. what's really frustrating are people that think they have known the topic for years and carry on a multi-post "conversation" insisting i can block the FTP and HTTP kernel drivers.