Thread: copy text in tty

Beans

copy text in tty

Hi I didn't used to terminal by this time.
    I do not understand clearly how to copy text from tty
    I have standalone computer with several disks and need copy uuid of them and paste to fstab.
    I do not understand how to do it without GUI, btw, I just curious, does ubuntu provide this possibility, to copy some random text from text only terminal window without mouse?
    in few words - I have only text terminal, and bunch of lines on it, is it possible just move cursor to some random line and copy text from it without mouse?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: copy text in tty

Most terminal programs support highlighting the text with a mouse, right-clicking, then using copy/paste to copy the on-screen text.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!

This link with two alternatives may help you get started.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

i usually send the command output both to the screen AND to a file, then edit the file to get the data needed, then scp the file to a normal Linux desktop for use as needed. 99.99999999% of the the time, i avoid using consoles for the lack in select-paste. Always prefer using ssh connections. it is just like being there almost always.

For example:
    Code:
    $ lsblk | tee /tmp/log
    if you need some remedial redirection-fu tutorials, find any basic bash or CLi linux book ... or search for "the art of the command line" - there's a github gist/page about it.

BTW, that example can be modified w/ sudo to create/append to an existing system file quickly.
    Code:
    $ echo "127.0.0.1   facebook.com  google.com  twitter.com" | sudo  tee -a /etc/hosts
    That can drastically reduce privacy problems for a desktop.

Beans

By default there is no copy and paste in the virtual consoles. If you have a mouse connected to the machine, gpm (general purpose mouse) provides that capability.

Otherwise you can use a terminal-multiplexer like screen or tmux. These work like a window manager for a terminal.

In screen 'ctrl-a Esc' starts copy-mode. You can move the cursor and use space to mark the beginning and end of the text to copy. After that 'ctrl-a ]' inserts the copied text.

Holger