Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: broke boot manager trying to install, now always boots straight to windows 10

Beans

broke boot manager trying to install, now always boots straight to windows 10

Hello, first time poster.

I'm trying to dual boot Ubuntu 19.10 alongside Windows 10 on my Lenovo C940 Yoga. I made a mistake following this tutorial and seem to have broken my laptop's boot management system.

I created the partition a la the tutorial, I shrank the C volume and then booted into the ubuntu installer, and then used the installer to create a "root" partition in the unallocated space. My mistake was that I forgot to create a "home" and "swap" partitions as well. I successfully completed the install process but when I tried to log in it just re-booted and took me to Windows, and asked me for my bit-locker key. I had to disable bitlocker because it was asking me for the recovery key on every reboot.

I figured out my error. Turned off bitlocker. Reabsorbed the partition into the main volume using windows disk manager, and then recreated a similar partition. Now when I bring up the boot manager on restart (pressing f12) it just has "ubuntu" at the top as if ubunutu were installed, and it never shows any install media I have in the USB as an option. If I select ubuntu, it just takes me to windows. I have disabled secure boot and disabled fast start up.

I created a recovery disk image using the Windows 7 legacy tool prior to this process. My next step is to try to reset the hard drive to the state it was before this process? I was hoping for some advice before I commit yet another two hours of my life to trying this.
    Last edited by natebot; March 26th, 2020 at 12:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: broke boot manager trying to install, now always boots straight to windows 10

I suspect that you have installed ubuntum in legacy mode but if your computer came with Windows 10 pre-installed it would have been UEFI, therefore Ubuntu would need to be installed using UEFI as well.

See Boot-Repair in my signature below and follow the instructions there to run the Boot-Info-Script. Do not run the default repair just yet but simply copy back here the pastebin link you get which will show us a lot more about your system.

Beans

Re: broke boot manager trying to install, now always boots straight to windows 10

Hey thanks for the reply!

I created a Boot-Repair disk with Rufus and booted from it, selected the "start session" option (it was the only option) and then my computer just sat for ~15 minutes with a blank screen doing nothing. I lost patience and rebooted and then posted this reply. I have no ideas on how to proceed, other than trying to recreate the Boot-Repair disk with different settings.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Better to use your Ubuntu live installer and add Boot-Repair with ppa.

May be best to see details, use ppa version with your live installer (2nd option) or any working install, not older Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please copy & paste link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), the auto fix sometimes can create more issues.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair &
    https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/CRkktwsP6F/

There it is, thanks for offering to help me make sense of it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You are showing UEFI boot of both Windows & Ubuntu as you have UEFI boot entries.
    But Linux partition not shown.
    You show two NVMe drives.

You also are showing RAID, I do not know RAID, so do not want to lead you astray.
    Do you really have Windows RAID or is just drives are not set for AHCI? If really RAID, you should not change to AHCI, but if RAID or Intel RST then you do want to change drives to AHCI. And RAID does not seem to be entire drive, which RAID normally is and two drives with same sizes in the RAID.

Linux desktop & then report used to not even show a drive with Intel RST or RAID. Only server installer would see RAID as it has those extra drivers.

Do not know Windows, but what does Windows see as the two drives?
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

[IMG]C:\Users\natei\OneDrive\Desktop[/IMG]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You have to post screenshots or reduces size photos here.
    Use Forum's Advanced mode and paperclip icon in upper panel of editor.

If you use the Forum's advanced editor, you can use the paperclip icon to attach screenshots. Post #4 1024x768 if photo
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12229098

Beans

Windows just sees a 100gb unallocated partition.
    Last edited by natebot; March 29th, 2020 at 04:10 PM.

Beans

So I assume "ubuntu" is still an option in the boot-menu because there is still a UEFI boot entry for it.

So should I run boot-repair? Or should I just go ahead and try to install again, making sure to partition the drive correctly this time (e.g. making swap and home partitions)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast