Thread: Is hexchat and synaptic available for Focal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is hexchat and synaptic available for Focal?

I have Ubuntu Mate 20.04 installed and I am still setting it up, I am not able to install hexchat or synaptic, I am guessing they are not available yet for 20.04 is that correct?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is hexchat and synaptic available for Focal?

Iv'e been using synaptic in Xubuntu for quite a while, so, yes, it's available. I've not tried to install hexchat, so I have no idea.

However, I've been having some problems with synaptic with wayland, such as serious lockup. A bug has been reported, but no progress that I can see.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I'm on 20.04 & `hexchat` is my used IRC client. I also have `synaptic` installed (I'm more likely to use `aptitude` though). Note I don't use wayland (using LXQt today, but used XFCE yesterday being installed too)

Code:
    guiverc@d960-ubu2:~$   apt-cache policy hexchat
    hexchat:
      Installed: 2.14.3-3
      Candidate: 2.14.3-3
      Version table:
     *** 2.14.3-3 500
            500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    guiverc@d960-ubu2:~$   apt-cache policy synaptic
    synaptic:
      Installed: 0.84.6ubuntu5
      Candidate: 0.84.6ubuntu5
      Version table:
     *** 0.84.6ubuntu5 500
            500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    (I'm using my ISP's mirror; that used to mean upgrades weren't counted on my monthly bandwidth quota, alas they changed policy.. but I haven't switched it yet)
    Last edited by guiverc; March 26th, 2020 at 05:36 AM. Reason: add a missing \n

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I was just able to install both of them, I walked away from my laptop while Ubuntu Mate was installing and did not know that the updates did not install like they were supposed to during installation and my wifi connection was very slow so the updates took about an hour to download, now that they are I was able to install both programs and I think I have my wifi issue resolved to but it is slow going on getting everything back to the way I like it.

Thanks for the replies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    …it is slow going on getting everything back to the way I like it…
    Wild Man, if you are doing a bare metal install of a new OS, you may want to check out the tutorial I wrote on sandboxing apps with LXD. Link in my sig. I've been migrating a ton of apps into LXD containers and, so far, it's amazing. Hexchat would be a good candidate. Synaptic, you would want on your host OS obviously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Wild Man, if you are doing a bare metal install of a new OS, you may want to check out the tutorial I wrote on sandboxing apps with LXD. Link in my sig. I've been migrating a ton of apps into LXD containers and, so far, it's amazing. Hexchat would be a good candidate. Synaptic, you would want on your host OS obviously.
    Thanks DH, I will read up on it and see what I can learn.