Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 locking up screen/keyboard/mouse

Beans

Ubuntu 18.04 locking up screen/keyboard/mouse

Couldn't find the right answer elsewhere, and I not only want to fix it but I want to learn how to troubleshoot this stuff for the future.

I just did a fresh reinstall of Ubuntu 18.04.4 (Kernel release 5.3.0-42-generic) from a freshly burned DVD. Previously had 18.04 without these problems, but at that time I had no sound (dummy output) so I decided to reinstall, previous problems assumed to be unrelated. The only software I've installed so far is NordVPN.

Problem 1: Random freeze of the screen, keyboard, and mouse. If sound is playing it will continue, but no screen motion and no actions from keyboard or mouse. I have to hard reset machine.

Problem 2: Screen turns into a checkerboard mess but mouse and keyboard functions work. Sometimes it's a quick flash, sometimes it remains indefinitely and I must reset which I'm able to do with the mouse clicks.

Where does one begin? What other info will I need to provide to find help? System Monitor shows low RAM and CPU usage and it still occurs. I have not been able to find a pattern or replicate it intentionally. I appreciate all advice and help!
    Last edited by nitsujz28; 1 Week Ago at 07:14 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 locking up screen/keyboard/mouse

It will probably help to mention that all computer components are from 2013 and include:
    - Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0)
    - CPU = AMD 6-CORE FX-6300 3.5G 8M R
    - Graphics card = EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
    - RAM = G-Skill RIpjaws X 8gb
    - Storage = Samsung 840 Evo SSD(120gb) and WD green hdd (2tb)

I've done a bit more searching for solutions, but nothing that has helped me yet..

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I would've start tinkering with the graphics driver. With 18.04 ubuntu installs kosher open-source noveau driver for nvidia cards by default, but it's crap. It caused random lock-ups on one of my systems too. Try installing proprietary nvidia driver.
    Last edited by lvm; 6 Days Ago at 01:24 PM.

Beans

Thanks for your response. That makes sense and I will try that now.

Would it explain keyboard lock up? I've confirmed that locks up as well because when music keeps playing during the frozen screen, my keyboard's volume buttons no longer work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In my case noveau started blocking CPU cores until everything locked up - keyboard, mouse, network. But yes, I do recall that sound continued playing for some time after the computer stopped reacting to keyboard including combinations that should always work like ctrl-alt-Fn

Beans

For future reference, my problem seems to be solved by lvm's advice. I switched to the proprietary driver "metapackage from nvidia-driver-435 (proprietary, tested)", rather than the open source one that it was by default.
    Last edited by nitsujz28; 1 Day Ago at 01:28 AM.