Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with Wordpress install

Beans

Trouble with Wordpress install

Hello
    I recently upgraded Ubuntu 16.02 to 18.02 on a localhost. I was using the Virualmin script to install Wordpress on Ubuntu 16.02. Always worked. After I upgraded I was unable to use the
    script. It failed to install.
    "Package 'php7.0-mysqli' has no installation candidate
    E: Unable to locate package php70-mysqli"

I switched php versions from 7.0.33 to 7.2.24 in Virtualmin server configuration and it seemed to install but when I clicked this link:

"WordPress initial installation complete. It can be completed at http://mysite.com/Support/wp-admin/upgrade.php"
    It triggers a "save as" dialog box for "upgrade.php"

Same trigger happened when I tried to install a script of phpMyAdmin.

One more thing: I tried to install Wordpress manually with the same result. a "Save as" dialog box pops up.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Re: Trouble with Wordpress install

You probably need to install libapache2-mod-php which will invoke PHP for any script ending in .php. If you install the LAMP package, all these interstitial bits are installed automatically along with Apache, PHP, and MySQL.

Code:
    sudo apt install lamp-server^
    I've always found the easiest way to install WP, assuming you have an empty MySQL database created for the purpose, is to simply unzip the current file, usually called "latest.zip" into the /var/www/html directory. (You need to do this as root with sudo.) Then point your browser to http://localhost/wordpress.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 1 Week Ago at 10:21 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What OS are you running? None of those numbers make any sense.
    lsb_release -a will show the release for Ubuntu systems.

Being correct on the details matters.

Beans

Thank you SeijiSensei. I will try your suggestion. I have LAMP installed. Will this reinstall over existing my existing LAMP? I think you are on the right track with libapache2-mod-php being the problem.
    "Without that library, the Apache don't know what is .php file, and recognizes it like raw file which can be downloaded, without being interpreted by PHP"
    Does this sound correct to you? By the way I have Ubuntu Server 18.04.4 installed on a local machine.
    Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by edvigil View Post
    Thank you SeijiSensei. I will try your suggestion. I have LAMP installed. Will this reinstall over existing my existing LAMP? I think you are on the right track with libapache2-mod-php being the problem.
    Usually that file is installed automatically when you install the lamp-server package. Otherwise you can install it manually with
    Code:
    sudo apt install libapache2-mod-php
    If you install lamp-server again, the installer will either say it is already installed and not do anything, or it will update the packages to their latest versions.

BTW, libapache2-mod-php isn't a library. It adds code to the Apache configuration to support files with .php extensions.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 1 Week Ago at 02:51 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans

Thanks SeijiSensei. I'm still trying out different things. Nothing seems to work. It seems anything php related just gives me a "Save As" dialog box. Even phpMy Admin.

Beans
    Distro

Did you try reinstalling lamp-server^? The "^" character at the end is important.

Beans

Thanks SeijiSensei
    I just tried reinstalling lamp-server^. I think we are definitely on the right track. The script installs Wordpress, but when I click the link to finish install I get the "Save As" dialog box.

I found some info on the internent about
    libapache2-mod-php
    "without that , Apache doesn't know what is .php file, and recognizes it like raw file which can be downloaded" Maybe that's still the problem.

Thanks again for your time!
    Eddie

Beans
    Distro

You did restart the Apache server, right?

Code:
    sudo systemctl restart apache2

Beans

Hello SeijiSensei
    Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes, I did restart Apache2. Same issue when I use Virtualmin script to install Wordpress or phpMyAdmin. I get a "Save As" dialog box. I even tried to install Wordpress into /var/www/html directory.
    That method has worked for me in the past, but not this time.

Just to be clear, I was using Ubuntu Server 16.02. It told me that Ubuntu Server 18.04 was available and to do a do-release-upgrade. Thats when I began having issues with Virtualmin scripts like Wordpress and phpmyadmin.
    Also, under Webmin System information, it says that I am using Ubuntu Linux 16.04.3 even though I am usuing 18.04.
    One more thing, the upgrade left the old php version 17.0.33 and the new version 17.2.24.

I just checked the Apache error logs I am getting mulptle errors like this:
    Sat Mar 28 17:46:13.631779 2020] [php7:error] [pid 32270] [client 5.188.210.101:26340] script '/home/mysite.com/public_html/echo.php' not found or unable to stat, referer: https://www.google.com/
    I have tried to install wordpress and phpmyadmin muliple so I don't believe its an attack.

Thank you again for all of your help!
    Eddie
    Last edited by edvigil; 3 Days Ago at 04:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast