Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble with Wordpress install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Trouble with Wordpress install

The "do-release-upgrade" is only designed to upgrade the OS...has nothing to do with any custom apps/scripts. When I upgrade my server, I do so by building a new server from scratch (typically in a virtual environment) with the current OS and app versions. Once I get the base system working, I then copy the data over and get the new server running with the old data in such a way that it works perfectly. I then document the entire process and do it again to ensure my documentation was not missing anything. Once I am confident that I can get a new server setup and restore the data and get it working, I then do it for real. If on a physical box, that means a final backup of the data, then erase the disks and install the new OS and restore the data according to my tested and verified documentation.

If the server is virtual, I simply create a new virtual and get it working, then swap the IP addresses and I'm done.

I do not use virtualmin and thus not familiar with its quirks but I did find the Ubuntu-18-specific information regarding virtualmin: https://www.virtualmin.com/node/57208

I install Wordpress manually since I have a separate dedicated database server/cluster and as such, the typical hold-your-hand installers like those in the repository or custom installer scripts tend to only handle situations with all services on the same machine...which is not ideal for production environments.

LHammonds

Beans

Re: Trouble with Wordpress install

PHP is at major version 7, not 17. If I were you, I'd install server 18.04 from scratch, or perhaps 20.04 which is close to release in a few days.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ser...-live/current/

That's much easier than trying to diagnose why some combination of packages don't work correctly together.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Solved

Thank you LHammonds! You and SeijiSensei have been incredibly helpful! I have learned a lot thanks to both of you. I am going to take your advice and install from scratch.
    I am going to mark this thread as solved.
    Good luck to both of you and have a great day!
    edvigil
    Last edited by edvigil; April 1st, 2020 at 03:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12