Thread: Have I lost my mind??? Newbie

Beans

Have I lost my mind??? Newbie

I have been trying for at least a month to get linux running in a VM on my iMac. I believe that I have downloaded and installed ever first level flavour in the world, BUT......
    I must me an idiot. Proficient with Windows amd Mac OS, I don't seem to be able to get ANY data into Ubuntu. I cannot see any drives attached to my iMac nor can I find anything on the main mac partition. Have messed with samba, guest app, etc. etc. Dose Ubuntu maintain a war criminals data base? How about really unattractive men?

I can't figure it out.

Surely it can't be that hard.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers
    Last edited by wildmanne39; March 24th, 2020 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Corrected windows misspelling and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Have I lost my mind??? Newbie

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Thread moved to Virtualisation a more appropriate sub-forum.

Beans

Some VMs have extensions or addons that would need to be added or permissions granted to see other drives. Should add which VM you are using so somebody else can give proper instructions. Should add also exactly what you are trying to do, I am thinking you want to add/copy data from one drive to the VM Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No direct help. But since MacOS runs on top of some UNIX, why not exploit that and use UNIX (without VM)?

Then, in a VM like VirtualBox, you need to install and configure the package Guest Additions to share folders between the host and the emulated system.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch...#sharedfolders

Yes, a lot to read...
    Ankman

My blog https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com
    Retro arcade game web page http://www.ankman.de/mame/

Beans

Virtual machines are self-contained. All their interactions with the host system depend on additional software.

If you're running VirtualBox, you need to install the matching Extension Pack for your VB version. Then you can use the "shared folders" method to mark directories on the host machine that are accessible to the VM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users