Thread: What is Core Boot

Beans

What is Core Boot

My next purchase will be to replace my old MacBook Pro with a System76 Galago Pro. I notice they use something called Core Boot. What is that? Something new to learn?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: What is Core Boot

Essentially this works below your operating system. Without programming or flashing the drive, you won't need to learn anything new.

coreboot
    , formerly known as LinuxBIOS,[4] is a software project aimed at replacing proprietary firmware (BIOS or UEFI) found in most computers with a lightweight firmware designed to perform only the minimum number of tasks necessary to load and run a modern 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coreboot

Coreboot is an extended firmware platform that delivers a lightning fast and secure boot experience on modern computers and embedded systems. As an Open Source project it provides auditability and maximum control over technology.

Beans

Re: What is Core Boot

Quote Originally Posted by EuclideanCoffee View Post
    Essentially this works below your operating system. Without programming or flashing the drive, you won't need to learn anything new.

coreboot
    , formerly known as LinuxBIOS,[4] is a software project aimed at replacing proprietary firmware (BIOS or UEFI) found in most computers with a lightweight firmware designed to perform only the minimum number of tasks necessary to load and run a modern 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coreboot

Coreboot is an extended firmware platform that delivers a lightning fast and secure boot experience on modern computers and embedded systems. As an Open Source project it provides auditability and maximum control over technology.

Aha! Thanks for the info.