Thread: Portable wifi driver kit?

Beans

Portable wifi driver kit?

I have an HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 that I occasionally need to run with Ubuntu from a DVD. It has Broadcom 43142 WiFi hardware, which of course is not part of the Ubuntu distribution. How can I create a kit (say, on a USB memory stick) that will have the Broadcom support on it, so I can easily get up on the network? I'm somewhat linux-literate (but not internals) and have been a Unix user since about '85. The gaps in my knowledge on this subject have to do with how to find and download the installation kit and then direct the installer to the memory stick. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by thegear; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:18 PM.

Beans

Re: Portable wifi driver kit?

A. It’s easier to buy atheros or broadcom card that is supported out of the box. Cheap, 5 bucks or with shipping.
    B. Dual boot from HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by thegear View Post
    I occasionally need to run with Ubuntu from a DVD. It has Broadcom 43142 WiFi hardware, which of course is not part of the Ubuntu distribution.
    Here are a couple of suggestions.

Using an Ubuntu 18.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso, you can add the Broadcom drivers in a live session.

Open a terminal and enter

Code:
    sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source
    After the driver has been installed/activated, then navigate to the wireless icon in the top right corner and enter your authentication details.

PS. I couldn't get it to work with Ubuntu 19.10 version.

Alternatively MX-19 has the Broadcom drivers built-in to their distro. https://mxlinux.org/products/

Good luck
    Last edited by tea for one; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added link

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless for a better fit