Thread: Chess engines end the fun of playing

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Chess engines end the fun of playing

I used to play chess, and with the confinement due to that virus I spent some time with a front like scid and an engine like stockfish. i even ended up with the latest version, stockfish 11 but it doesn't make a difference because even earlier versions are, well let's admit it, unbeatable. The problem is that if one uses so called easy modes you know you cheat and that's no fun. I guess it's a tribute to the programmers but now I understand why nobody talks about chess anymore. For the purpose of analyzing games the engine is wonderful. But as a player this is frustrating. I guess I know why I don't play chess anymore.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Chess engines end the fun of playing

You may not win every time, but your game will improve. Even on some engines using the easy mode is hard for me. I learn for watching how the engine plays.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Chess engines end the fun of playing

Well, if you play often, you get better. The problem with a chess engine is its tactical ability, it simply calculates fast and with no errors. scid allows import of games of good players. (see chess weekly as an example, they publish them) Even strong players make mistakes, overlooking tactics. Especially mating combinations in complex positions. There used to be chess problems, like mate in 4. It is astonishing how quickly the engine finds the correct solution, even on a laptop that's 10 years old.