Thread: Copy-on-write filesystems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Copy-on-write filesystems

I'm thankful to the developers for finally including a copy-on-write filesystem in a LTS version of Ubuntu.
    Could someone from Canonical please let me know if there is an official push to switch to a copy-on-write filesystem as the default, at least by the next LTS (22.04)?
    Having actually used ZFS today for the 1st time, it's clear that this is the way forward. Maybe add btrfs as another option for auto-partitioning?

And its also excellent having the option to use a different filesystem at install time. I wish we had an auto-partitioning option for any alternative fs, but this is good.
    Last edited by Brinstar; April 3rd, 2020 at 07:19 PM.
    Trial and error are your best teachers.

Beans

Re: Copy-on-write filesystems

How is that different from RAID1?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know enough about RAID1 to comment.
    Trial and error are your best teachers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First, nobody here works for Canonical. i have no ideal what they may or may not do.

btrfs probably won't be a default any time soon. Some light reading: https://wiki.debian.org/Btrfs#Warnings
    https://access.redhat.com/documentat..._release_notes
    /chap-red_hat_enterprise_linux-7.4_release_notes-deprecated_functionality_in_rhel7

i have nothing against users having choices, but not all choices are good just because they are available. There are almost always caveats for any choices, including the defaults.