Thread: Monitor keeps shutting down

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Monitor keeps shutting down

Firstly, this is not a specifically Ubuntu question for which I apologise.

My monitor keep switching on and off. When it comes back the pages are unchanged so I'm thinking it isn't a cpu problem. But it could be either the monitor (very old) or the graphics card.

Just to save me splurging out cash unnecessarily, can any suggest a (fairly) simple way of determining the cause?

TIA
    Phenom II 955 Black AM3 3.2 GHz 8MB L3 Cache, Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3, 8Gb RAM, Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS, 2 * Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB Hard Drives - 1st drive partitioned for Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 - both 64bit, 2nd as storage.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Monitor keeps shutting down

Could be monitor or GPU. My first guess would be overheating. Have you cleaned dust and debris out recently? Are all cooling fans working properly?

You can try running the machine without the side cover on it: that will let more cooling in. If you have a small desk fan, you could try blowing air over the innards and see if that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Monitors turn themselves off to save power and prevent burn-in. If your monitor turns off regularly - every 15 minutes or so - when you aren't using the computer, that's what it's supposed to do. If it turns off regularly when you are using the computer then it's an issue with determining that you're using the computer. If it turns itself off sporadically then it's likely a cabling issue.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The shut-offs are sporadic, not timed. I will delve into the casing tomorrow and see what's what.

Thanks.
    Phenom II 955 Black AM3 3.2 GHz 8MB L3 Cache, Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3, 8Gb RAM, Gigabyte GeForce 8400GS, 2 * Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB Hard Drives - 1st drive partitioned for Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 - both 64bit, 2nd as storage.