Thread: Can't boot from ISO using GRUB2

Beans

Can't boot from ISO using GRUB2

I have grub2 as my bootloader -- installed it independently of any distribution and I created my own grub.cfg and edited it directly (rather than using, for example, one auto-generated in Ubuntu).

With grub installed, Windows & Fatdog64 are working fine, however i was not able to boot a Lubuntu Focal Fossa ISO. Years ago, i used to successfully boot various Ubuntu flavors (2016-2017 versions i believe) directly from an ISO stored on USB stick or hard disk, no problem.. so i thought i'd try that. I'm guessing the choice of desktop environment didn't have any impact but I don't actually know that. The ISO i used was the most up-to-date Focal iso as of March 20th.

I don't think i missed anything important in terms of GRUB2 commands in order to boot correctly, which made me wonder -- is this a capability that is currently broken in Focal? Is it just a feature that's being dropped .... or maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Capturing the exact errors my computer was tossing up on screen is not within my skillset but I saw a LOT of different messages go up and then it would stop with a bunch of words including "kernel panic" on screen.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Side note, I was a member of this forum for years, probably 10 or 20 posts or more during that time... but either i lost track of my old username or it may have been deleted. I haven't had any real involvement in Ubuntu & Linux in a couple years.
    Last edited by julianbrelsford; 1 Week Ago at 01:37 AM.

Beans

Re: Can't boot from ISO using GRUB2

Last edited by wildmanne39; 1 Week Ago at 03:05 AM. Reason: Removed large image

Beans

just to expand on this, i didn't succeed in getting Lubuntu Focal to work using dd OR unetbootin to create a live-USB either. Different error messages with each; with dd i got a message saying one file was corrupted after it had gotten as far as a black/white text covered screen with a mouse cursor i could move around ...and with a usb stick created by dd it was something about the kernel not being found (?)
    Last edited by julianbrelsford; 1 Week Ago at 03:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello and welcome to the forum julianbrelsford, when posting terminal output instead of using an image post the test between code tags, the image is very hard to read.

Please use code tags - if you are using New Reply button - highlight text and use the # button in the text box header.

If using Quick Reply then [code] at the beginning and [/code] at the end, if you are editing a post to add code tags click the edit button then click the go advanced button, highlight the code then select the # symbol from the tool bar.

If you do post an image of something but not for terminal output of course please use the attachment facility by clicking on the paperclip or use url's for images because apart from bandwidth issues for some, it makes it difficult for those using mobile devices to browse the forum.

Beans
    Distro

You cant boot ISOs using grub 2.04.
    You can build a System that uses grub 2.02, starting with mkusb.
    See the following Note 1 for reference.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1217...049271_1217839

Ubuntu 18.04 should also still work.

Beans

sorry, this was a computer crash / kernel panic. I did not have access to the text any way besides taking a photo of it with another device. CS Cameron thanks for the advice! I didn't realize grub 2.04 did not allow boot to ISO

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

See also bug report.
    2.04 Out of memory error loop mount
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1851311

Please add to it as the more that post that it applies the more likely someone will work on fixing it.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.