Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB mounting problems flash drives & music player  Ubuntu vs xubuntu vs mint :

Beans

USB mounting problems flash drives & music player  Ubuntu vs xubuntu vs mint :

USBmounting problems flash drives & music player Ubuntu vs xubuntu vs mint :

Fordaily use, I use Ubuntu 64-bit [my main desktop] & linux mintMATE 32-BIT [my travel laptop b/c I hate tablets]
    Iwas thinking about switching mintcinnamon or xubuntu 64-bit. Will this fix the problem ?
    Ido NOT want to fiddle with package or terminal commands but I need tobe able to move docs/music/pics files smoothly between windowsdesktop & linux desktop & android phone.

Iam an appraiser by day
    DJby night
    Thuswindows 7 is necessary b/c MS office / APEX SKETCH / ABLETONLIVE/PUSH.
    https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/
    https://www.apexwin.com/registration/store.php?cat=5

Fordaily use, I use Ubuntu 64-bit [my main desktop] & linux mintMATE 32-BIT [my travel laptop b/c I hate tablets]
    Irip to FLAC via rhythmbox/sound juicer.
    Icarry a FIIO player everywhere with me. https://www.fiio.com/x1ii
    Butwhen I mount/copy the FLAC files to my FIIO media player, the FIIOsees but cannot read/play the music files.

Ialso noticed that my main USB flash drive which moves back &forth between Ubuntu & Windows is always showing error messages
    Ubuntu/mintalso have problems mounting the SD card on my old galaxy phone so Ican take pics/videos of my phone.

Ihave upgraded to windows 10.
    Inow have the 2ndgeneration X1 & this problem persists.
    Iam convinced the problem is with the USB mounting in linux.
    Doesanyone have any suggestions ? this is killing my linux experience &pushing me back to windows 10 for daily purposes.

AmI the only one having issues with USB mounting flash drives &music player?
    Iwas thinking about switching mint cinnamon or xubuntu 64-bit. Willthis fix the problem ?
    Lorenzo
    310-708-0104
    Last edited by DuckHook; March 28th, 2020 at 04:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: USB mounting problems flash drives & music player  Ubuntu vs xubuntu vs mint :

What are the USBs formatted to? Are you properly dismounting them from Win10 before you remove them from or shut down the Win10 machine?

Beans

Re: USB mounting problems flash drives & music player  Ubuntu vs xubuntu vs mint :

the drives are inthe original format they came in.
    I have had no needto reformat them.

The FIIO player doesits own SD card formatting when you first pop in a sd card. I assumethey aimed for compatibility with windows 10/macbook.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dokbrown2 View Post
    the drives are inthe original format they came in.
    I have had no needto reformat them.

The FIIO player doesits own SD card formatting when you first pop in a sd card. I assumethey aimed for compatibility with windows 10/macbook.
    Won't install any packages to provide the necessary drivers and won't answer the relevant questions asked.
    Flash devices can have different file systems when they come from the vendor. Not all of those are usually installed on any Linux system by default. So, if you'd like for the flash drive to work as is, then the file system on it needs to be known. Plus, not all flash drives are compatible with all USB ports (and USB controllers). if that's the situation, trying a different port on the system, not near the port that isn't working would be the next step.

Not sure anyone can help. Sorry.
    Last edited by TheFu; March 28th, 2020 at 04:19 AM.

Beans

Please tell me that there is ubuntu desktop OS that comes withdrivers to support mounting a sd card in an android phone: gnome,mate, cinnamon, xfce. In regards to ease of use, that would bepriority for many users.

I use Samsunggalaxy phones b/c their “Samsung switch” software supportsgalaxy/android/iphone/blackberry.

---Interoperability is key ---

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

All the drivers needed to access almost any file systems are in the standard repos just like any other software. exFAT should be included in 20.04 now that Microsoft has stopped being nasty with their patent licenses for it. But really, devices using SD storage really should use a better, patent-free file system like Samsung's f2fs.

On exFAT: https://arstechnica.com/information-...appy-about-it/
    Last edited by TheFu; April 16th, 2020 at 03:55 AM.

Beans

Interesting article. Does that mean that the next version of Ubuntu with the new linux kernel 5.7 will solve my problem & that the desktop environment is not the issue ?
    I’ve been using Ubuntu for 5+ years & I am still confused as the lines between kernel/desktop/gui.

I meant to say I use LIBREoffice b/c it works on linux/mac/windows.

--- Interoperability is key ---

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Interesting article. Does that mean that the next version of Ubuntu with the new linux kernel 5.7 will solve my problem & that the desktop environment is not the issue ?
    I’ve been using Ubuntu for 5+ years & I am still confused as the lines between kernel/desktop/gui.

No, it won't.
    Now that you have Windows 10 and if still using typical Windows file systems like NTFS (you still are) it's imperative to disable the Fast Startup feature in Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Whether there is a GUI program that can interface with any storage, or not, is separate from whether the storage can be accessed.

The only problem I see is a refusal to load a driver that is, and has been, available for years.

https://itsfoss.com/mount-exfat/ has directions.
    3 steps if you have a kernel 5.3 or lower. Check that with
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    4.15.0-96-generic
    Those 3 steps, two of which might be optional, so just do all three.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository universe
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils
    Anyway, after you load the exfat drivers, any file manager should make access possible, assuming the storage uses exFAT. It won't help if a different file system is used or there's a compatibility issue with the SDCard and USB port.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...gsconnect.html talks about GSConnect and KDE-Connect. These are full-access tools for Android devices, assuming you don't care about security. GSConnect requires Gnome3 as the DE. KDE-Connect prefers KDE as the DE. There are other tools trying to accomplish similar connectivity. I've looked at a few, but they all fail my "smells bad" security review.

Beans

A rather safer way to copy or move data between an Android device and a Linux machine is to set up ssh with sftp on Linux and then use a file manager that can use that on Android. Reduces wear and tear on the SD-Card slot. I'm using Cx Explorer on Android for that, but I'm sure there are others.

Holger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast