Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: putting desktop icons in specific places

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

putting desktop icons in specific places

when i create new icons for my desktop, it packs them to the left. when i login, it repacks them in the order sorting the file names in ~/Desktop. i would rather put each icon in a specific place around the desktop display and have them stay in that position. how can i do that? which desktop environments can do this?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: putting desktop icons in specific places

fvwm can. every icon can be specifically placed on any workspace, and position.

Beans
    Distro

any way to do it in xfce?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    any way to do it in xfce?
    Which version of Xfce are you using?

Version 4.14 holds the icons in place after rebooting.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Which version of Xfce are you using?

Version 4.14 holds the icons in place after rebooting.

*sigh* 4.12

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I used to have this problem when I used desktop icons and solved it by making the text files in /home/<user>/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons* immutable.
    Use
    Code:
    sudo chattr +i /home/<user>/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons*
    Should you want to change anything you will have to remove that immutable flag with
    Code:
    sudo chattr -i /home/<user>/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons*
    I haven't used desktop icons for a long time now as I have a vertical panel on the left side of my screen full of launchers; much tidier and easier to manage.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; March 22nd, 2020 at 03:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I used to have this problem when I used desktop icons and solved it by making the text files in /home/<user>/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons* immutable.
    Use
    Code:
    sudo chattr +i /home/<user>/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons*
    Should you want to change anything you will have to remove that immutable flag with
    Code:
    sudo chattr -i /home/<user>/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons*
    I haven't used desktop icons for a long time now as I have a vertical panel on the left side of my screen full of launchers; much tidier and easier to manage.
    tell me more about the vertical panel. that sounds like something i gave up on a while back. can i put text there instead of icons? can i make it slide out only when the mouse point approaches or hits the left side?

edit:

can i have one one the left and a different one on the right at the same time?
    can i set the font and/or font size?
    does it handle Unicode/UTF-8?
    Last edited by Skaperen; March 23rd, 2020 at 12:10 AM. Reason: more questions, fix typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

1- Can i put text there instead of icons? can i make it slide out only when the mouse point approaches or hits the left side?
    2- Can i have one one the left and a different one on the right at the same time?
    3- Can i set the font and/or font size?
    4- Does it handle Unicode/UTF-8?
    1- You can choose to use a label instead of an icon for launchers but the panel will then need to be wide enough to show the labels which may be a lot wider than you want, but the panel on the side, just like that at top or bottom can autohide (show only when the mouse pointer goes into it).
    2- You can put a panel at any one, two, three or all of the four sides of the screen if you wish.
    3- Not sure about that; I use all icons.
    4- No idea, nit sure exactly what you mean, but not applicable for me as I use icons.

See screenshot for the way I use this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

what needs to be done to set this up? is it an application program that runs? if it is written in python that would be super awesome. if it is written in nodejs that would be fine.

the problem i have is that many of the things i would have are like things, close enough to use the same icon. i have the same terminal icon and have named if (the words that show up under the icon) according to which user it switches to. so the icon i useless. it is the words that matter.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xfce4-panel supports UTF8 and you can have as many panels on screen as you like. And place them almost where you like. You can either go to Settings -> Panel -> click on the plus sign besides "Panel 0" to add a new panel. Or just right click on your present panel and go to Panel settings (you'll end up in the same settings window). Panels are numbered 0,1,2 and so on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast