Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: putting desktop icons in specific places

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: putting desktop icons in specific places

Quote Originally Posted by webaake View Post
    Xfce4-panel supports UTF8 and you can have as many panels on screen as you like. And place them almost where you like.
    Now there's an idea! Make auto-hiding panels, put the icons in whatever order you like, put the panels wherever you like, and bingo! Or just wait for Xubu 20.04.

Best distro for NEWBIES: Linux Lite

Beans
    Distro

so let's start with a very simple setup, on theft, with just one launcher, i copied an icon to file ~/firsticon.jpg. where should i copy it (again) to? i want this icon to execute the command "/usr/bin/dm-tool switch-to-user skaperen". how do i set this up? do i need something like a .desktop file?
    Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Beans
    Hidden!

Right click in your current panel and choose Panel Preferences.
    At the top beside the dropbox with Panel 0 click the green + which will give you a second small empty panel somewhere on the screen.
    Right click in that empty panel and click Panel Preferences again to move that panel to where you want it by deselecting the Lock Panel if needed and dragging it to the chosen place. Set the autohide if that's what you want, the size etc etc, then right click again, click on Add new items, highlight launcher and add as many times as you need launchers.

At this stage all launchers will be empty so right click each, click Properties and click on the + to add an item to the launcher. This will bring up the full list of applications on your system. Click the one you want in that launcher. Repeat that sequence for all the other empty launchers.

To use text rather than an icon choose Advanced in the launcher properties and select Show label instead of icon.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; 1 Week Ago at 09:14 PM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I moved (dragged it with mouse) Trash icon to lower right corner, rebooted, Trash icon remained on lower right corner.
    I moved Home, File System, and two disk icons to upper right in a column extending downwards, rebooted, all icons remained in place in upper right corner.
    What is the issue?

Update: Icons still on the right side where I placed them yesterday. By the way. my xfce = xfce4/focal,focal 4.14
    Last edited by him610; 1 Week Ago at 02:03 AM. Reason: added updated info
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!

The issue is, I think, that for Skaperen, as for me in past usage of desktop launchers, they often did not stay where I put them.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    Now there's an idea! Make auto-hiding panels, put the icons in whatever order you like, put the panels wherever you like, and bingo! Or just wait for Xubu 20.04.
    Yeah, another Xfce fan, like me! When Canoncial started with Unity in 1939, I went to Xfce (Xubuntu and Arch and others). Never looked back. The new 4.14 seems fully GTK3 comaptible and works great! You can upgrade to 4.14 in 18.04, but it's not a walk in the park.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by webaake View Post
    Yeah, another Xfce fan, like me! When Canoncial started with Unity in 1939, I went to Xfce (Xubuntu and Arch and others). Never looked back. The new 4.14 seems fully GTK3 comaptible and works great! You can upgrade to 4.14 in 18.04, but it's not a walk in the park.
    Slightly off topic I realise, but did you do this using the jonathonf ppa at https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+ar..._filter=bionic ?

I use several PPAs without problems, and I won't try this at present but might when I install 20.04 after release, this being my main machine. I might just give it a try on a laptop I use to play around on.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Slightly off topic I realise, but did you do this using the jonathonf ppa at https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+ar..._filter=bionic ?

I use several PPAs without problems, and I won't try this at present but might when I install 20.04 after release, this being my main machine. I might just give it a try on a laptop I use to play around on.
    No, I didn't try that PPA (wish I did) I tried the xubuntu-dev PPA. But no updates presented themselves on my 18.04 Xfce 4.12 system. So I downloaded the Xfce deb packages for 19.10 and installed them manually, including almost all dependencies. A tall order since you must install them in the right order including the respective dependencies. I still have an issue with app-menu-gtk, but the system works and is stable. I wouldn't do this on a production system and I can't recommend it. But it is doable.

EDIT: Yay!! Just tried the jonathon PPA and it seems 100% okay! I'm sceptical about 19.10 and 20.04 and waiting to see what the future will bring.
    Last edited by webaake; 1 Week Ago at 02:11 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I gave the ppa a try on my laptop with Xubuntu-bionic and it certainly updated mostly without a problem.

However, there were a few packages that I use, eg, xfce4-mailwatch-plugin and xfce4-weather-plugin, that wre not available in the ppa, so having tried it for a day, without too many problems I accept, I removed it using ppa-purge which successfully downgraded all packages back to the versions they were before, all of which are working fine for me.

Beans
    Distro

4.14 supposedly does this. 4.12 does not.

i have my own icons in ~/Desktop/ each named <whatever>.desktop. they don't stay where i put them. normally the ones in ~/Desktop/ are sorted and are appended to the default icons in sorted order. i have established a NN-<whatever>.desktop naming scheme to let me give them meaningful names and still control the order (NN). i must fill each column before any go to the next column.

yet, even with all that, sometimes the icons get scattered around in random ordered, packed on the left. i have a script that moves them all into a temporary directory then moves them all back, in sorted order with a 1/4 second time delay between each. that gets them back in the correct order. one time when this happened, i left them in the random order and rebooted. they stayed in the exact same random order.

it would be nice to position certain icons in certain places. for the icons i create, it would be nice to have a parameter to let me specify the position for that one, preferably in pixel resolution or finer or as a ratio of a specified resolution, like: position=216/1920,324/1080
    Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweeter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12