Thread: Is Zorrin OS Ok?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Is Zorrin OS Ok?

Is Zorrin OS Ok? Can I dual boot with Ubuntu and Zorrin?

Beans

Re: Is Zorrin OS Ok?

It looks like an over hyped fork of Ubuntu, so it is probably OK... but why bother?

Beans

Moved to the "Ubuntu/Debian BASED" forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alvinrr View Post
    Is Zorrin OS Ok? Can I dual boot with Ubuntu and Zorrin?
    Boot a live disk or usb to see if you like it. Zorin has different desktop configuration options and the same software as Ubuntu. Their focus is people switching from Windows.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

It would be easier with an MBR/Legacy install. If you are doing an EFI install of Zorin alongside an EFI install of Ubuntu, you would need to find out if the EFI directory used for Zorin is also called Ubuntu. This is the case with a number of Ubuntu derivaties so if that is the case with Zorin, installing it will overwrite the current Ubuntu EFI files. Zorin should detect Ubuntu and create a menuentry for it. Should you decide at a later data that you do not want Zorin but want to stick with Ubuntu you will have problems booting if you format the Zorin partition because the required Grub files including menu will also be deleted. You coul copy the current ubuntu EFI directory to another location as a backup and if you later decide you don't want Zorin, copy the ubuntu EFI directory back to the EFI partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I was looking for a replacement distro for Linux Mint 19.3 ( it was too sluggish) so I installed Zorin Core it on my MacMini and tried it for a couple of days. Had no problems with the installation, everything worked out of the box. I didn't find anything that made me want to keep it, so I installed Ubuntu over it. One thing I didn't like was the fact that they wanted $39.00 US for the Ultimate Version.\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thank you for your answers. I will just wait for Focal Fossa.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I haven't used either beyond casual exploration but I think Zorin and Mint with the Cinnamon desktop would be the most familiar to Windows users. Both have a 'start' button of sorts in the lower left corner, have a sort of task bar etc. etc. Remember that to non-technical sorts the desktop/UI IS the computer, they know nothing of the underpinnings.