Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cannot deactivate update sources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot deactivate update sources

You might be running into this, or a similarly, random bug/issue:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1734095
    i'm not completely sure it's the same, and do not see any easy to follow fix for it.

Maybe try reinstalling software-properties-gtk
    Code:
    sudo apt install --reinstall software-properties-gtk
    or
    to see if it is a more general issue with the desktop you can do a test for the popup window
    Code:
    pkexec test
    does a popup dialog box show?

I think at this point we're throwing pasta at the wall.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by py-ohayo View Post
    I purged whole NVIDIA staff.
    So, can delete these 3 files ?
    The three cuda-local ones, yes. You'll want to delete the local repositories as well. No point keeping them when you haven't got anything pulling packages from there.

It's a weird setup, for when you want to replicate the environment on many machines. The Nvidia site does a very poor job of explaining... well, anything, really.

Should you wish to experiment with CUDA in the future, there's a more standard setup of pulling the CUDA stuff from a standard repository. If you want to also use the PPA driver (which you should) there's a metapackage (whose name I can't currently remember) that pulls in just the CUDA stuff but not the driver. That's the one that you'd install.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

You'll want to delete the local repositories as well.
    Where can I locate them. Can you develop, please.

Should you wish to experiment with CUDA in the future, there's a more standard setup of pulling the CUDA stuff from a standard repository.
    You mean steps from here:
    https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-installation-guide-linux/index.html#ubuntu-installation

Not entirely clear ... for example what should I put instead of
    <distro>_<version>_<architecture>

If you want to also use the PPA driver (which you should) there's a metapackage (whose name I can't currently remember) that pulls in just the CUDA stuff but not the driver.
    I'm not sure if I'll need PPA driver. All what I need is to assure GPU support when working with TensorFlow.
    According to what I have learned so far, running TensorFlow with GPU support also requires the installation of CUDA, CUDA dev kit, NVIDIA drivers and cuDNN.
    And according to my recent experience, if the versions of all these components aren't compatible, it will not work.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by py-ohayo View Post
    Where can I locate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    then simply delete the local repositories (the /var/cuda-repo stuff)
    I'm not sure if I'll need PPA driver. All what I need is to assure GPU support when working with TensorFlow.
    According to what I have learned so far, running TensorFlow with GPU support also requires the installation of CUDA, CUDA dev kit, NVIDIA drivers and cuDNN.
    And according to my recent experience, if the versions of all these components aren't compatible, it will not work.
    The PPA driver is actually updated. The one in the CUDA repos is static: you need to go through the whole palaver of installing the entire CUDA stack again if you want whichever features are in the newer driver. The CUDA stack is perfectly fine with the PPA driver, provided you aren't also trying to use the CUDA repairing repository's driver at the same time: Nvidia's driver is terrible at coexisting with itself, but it gets particularly confused by having two different sources.

Beans

These NVIDIA drivers is something really infernal.
    I've just tried to install version 418 because it matches CUDA 10.1 that I want to install further, which (i.e. 10.1) matches to TensorFlow 2.1, which is final objective.
    After executing
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-418
    and rebooting PC, I see the following after executing nvidia-smi:
    Code:
    pavel@ALABAMA:~$ nvidia-smi
    NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Beans

Indeed, although I selected NVIDIA 418

the driver, used by system is still Intel Graphics:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123