Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot deactivate update sources

Beans

Re: Cannot deactivate update sources

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    You should .... do what was suggested previously.
    As I mentioned in my previous message, there is no any related line in the sources.list.
    And the sources.list is the only text file in specified location.
    So, nothing to comment !
    On the other side, there are files whose names seem "offensive".
    In other words, my case is not exactly what you described.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    One of the ways of installing CUDA from Nvidia is to create a local repository of the CUDA packages, and then install from there. That appears to be what you've done. You can either uninstall the package that you used to set up those local repositories (you appear to have done it twice) which should also remove those files and the apt entries, or you can remove all the CUDA stuff (which you say you've done already) and then simply delete the local repositories (the /var/cuda-repo stuff) and the corresponding sources.list.d entries.
    I purged whole NVIDIA staff.
    So, can delete these 3 files ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rick St. George View Post
    As to your first question - I ran into this on a friends computer. Turns out, he was not the Administrator.
    Went into Users/Groups and changed him to Administrator, Problem solved.
    Did you check? Just saying!
    Went into Users/Groups ... how access it ?
    I looked over "Settings" and didn't see Users/Groups.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by py-ohayo View Post
    I purged whole NVIDIA staff.
    So, can delete these 3 files ?
    You can do whatever you want.

The point was to change things until we were 100% certain that no harm was done, while keeping a backout plan. After a week, then clean up the new changes if everything was still fine. Was just trying to protect you from mistakes.

Do whatever you want.

Beans

Do whatever you want.
    Well ... here is your previous message:
    If any packages from the commented out lines are still installed on the system, you'll be in "APT HELL" and updates will fail going forward due to unresolved dependencies. In a few months, nothing will update. So be extremely careful to only get the correct lines.
    So I put my question differently: can I delete these files without risk of transforming my system in "APT HELL" few days/weeks later ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Went into Users/Groups ... how access it ?
    I looked over "Settings" and didn't see Users/Groups.
    Unless you're running an xubuntu or any number of non-Ubuntu desktops, it's not relevant to Ubuntu.
    For users in Ubuntu go to Settings > Details. Users will be a listing there.
    It doesn't show groups but it will show whether the user is the admin or non-admin user.
    It might require unlocking it to see the users status better. Click on the lock icon in the top right corner of the setting window to unlock.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well ... here is your previous message:

So I put my question differently: can I delete these files without risk of transforming my system in "APT HELL" few days/weeks later ?
    if all the packages previously installed from those removed repos are removed, then there won't be any issue. Best to wait a week, see that there aren't any issues, assuming you've backed up the files and commented out any relevant lines inside those files.

Running a full patch cycle shouldn't hurt.
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    if there are any issues, best to solve them ASAP.

That's how I’d do it.

Beans

For users in Ubuntu go to Settings > Details. Users will be a listing there.
    It doesn't show groups but it will show whether the user is the admin or non-admin user.
    It might require unlocking it to see the users status better. Click on the lock icon in the top right corner of the setting window to unlock.
    Well, I've created but administrator account ... but after created it I realized that existing account was also administrator-type although I always use sudo for critical operation.
    Nevertheless I remain confused ... if I correctly understood Rick St. George message, administrator can uncheck "unwanted" items via Software & Update interface ?
    Or I've been mistaken.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I've created but administrator account ... but after created it I realized that existing account was also administrator-type although I always use sudo for critical operation.
    Nevertheless I remain confused ... if I correctly understood Rick St. George message, administrator can uncheck "unwanted" items via Software & Update interface ?
    Or I've been mistaken.
    Perhaps your system isn't activating the password prompt required to enable/disable/add/remove settings.
    When you make any action in Software and Updates it requires the admin user password to proceed.
    This is a pop up window, and should always be on top of every other window.
    Is no prompt showing for you?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

When you make any action in Software and Updates it requires the admin user password to proceed.
    When I click on the items that I want to uncheck in Software and Updates, nothing happens - no any pop up window.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast