Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: install help on PowerPC G5

Beans

install help on PowerPC G5

Hello all,

I am attempting to install Lubuntu on an old PowerPC Dual G5 and after the installation it passes the first stage bootstrap but it then reboots after the second stage.

I have found this thread and followed the instruction but it did not work https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1718724

Below is my yaboot.conf file. Attached a screenshot of gparted.

Any help please? THANK YOU!

Code:
    ## yaboot.conf generated by the Ubuntu installer
    ##
    ## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
    ## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
    ##
    ## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
    ## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot="/dev/disk/by-id/ata-INTEL_SSDSA2BW080G3_CVPR21110126080BGN-part3"
    device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@9/k2-sata-root@c/@ffffffffffffffff/@0
    partition=5
    root="UUID=0d8be704-0c23-439d-87bc-cad5502be2b1"
    timeout=50
    install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
    magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
    enablecdboot

image=/boot/vmlinux
            label=Linux
            read-only
            initrd=/boot/initrd.img
            append="quiet splash"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
            label=old
            read-only
            initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
            append="quiet splash"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: install help on PowerPC G5

You don't seem to mention which version of Lubuntu that you are trying to install on yr G5 . . . possibly if you G5 is "64 bit" there might be some distro support for PPC out there. I believe Lu dropped support with 16.04 PPC . . . U-MATE went to testing for 17.04 PPC . . . those are 32 bit that most of the ubuntu world has dropped support for . . . . Other than that I don't know much about G5 machines, often times in PPC you have to get your boot parameters entered in the Yaboot conf file . . . added into the "append" line . . . .

Part of the problem with the link you supplied is that is from 10.04 days, which would likely be ten years back?? if you are trying to install Lu 10.04 then maybe it will apply?? My first question is whether you were able to boot and run the live dvd/cd of the iso of choice on your machine? If you can't run the live system, then the first step is to get that working, before trying to run an install . . . .

Beans

Hi and thanks!

The G5 should be 64bit indeed. I downloaded Lubuntu from this website, I followed the links for the PPC version which took me to Lubuntu 16.04.3. Yes, it works from the Live CD so it seems it's just a matter of instructing the PPC on how to boot properly!

I did not realise the above instructions were for 10.04 thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

> I downloaded Lubuntu from this website

This web site doesn't provide downloads, and I'm guessing you got it from a non-Ubuntu, and non-Lubuntu web site myself. The Lubuntu web site (https://lubuntu.me/downloads/) doesn't appear to offer it, as Lubuntu 16.04 reached EOL some time ago

Lubuntu 16.04 will be supported until April 2019.
    (https://lubuntu.me/test-xenial-6/)

PPC support was dropped in February, making Xenial Xerus the last Lubuntu release for this architecture.
    (https://lubuntu.me/bionic-released/)

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS only supports `ppc64el` which is 64-bit, and most consumer devices are `ppc` only (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ppc64el).

Beans

I didn't realise I was redirected to a different website. So let me clarify: I downloaded it from the website from which I was redirected here when I clicked on "FORUMS". See picture attached.

I am confused: is lubuntu.net not the official Lubuntu website? I do not see any mention on the description. Anyway you're saying that 18.04 is the version I want to test for my G5, am I correct?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
    I didn't realise I was redirected to a different website. So let me clarify: I downloaded it from the website from which I was redirected here when I clicked on "FORUMS". See picture attached.

I am confused: is lubuntu.net not the official Lubuntu website? I do not see any mention on the description. Anyway you're saying that 18.04 is the version I want to test for my G5, am I correct?

Thanks!
    @tony:

the .net site isn't the "official" site, but as mentioned above support is likely dropped, so I don't think that "unofficialness" of the site would make any difference in the grand scheme of ubuntu distros. 16.04 was the last supported version, but even in a fresh install it seems like the installer is bringing in ppc packages that aren't working . . . bit of a mess to try to get it working. If the checksum numbers check out from what you downloaded then the file itself is "clean" . . . look through the PPC wiki and see if they show boot parameters for the G5, likely depending upon the video card it has . . . that data would go in at the second Yaboot screen where you would type, "Linux xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" sometimes hitting the tab key will show options, could be as simple as, "Linux video=ofonly" or a series of words that might include "powerpc" . . . you have to play with it.

Other options, like yesterday I booted my PM 3,1 back into OSX 10.5 . . . machine has 2GB RAM so it just doesn't move fast, but now OSX works better than the U-MATE 17 install that I have in it. Or, look around, as mentioned above there are other distros that are still supporting 64 bit PPC, you just have to look around for them. Another poster mentioned macrumors as a site that has an active PPC support community . . . it's now taking more effort to run linux on PPC, and it always took a fair bit to get it going in the recent past. Enjoy the games, etc.

Beans

Hi

I thought Lubuntu was an easy "out of jail" for my Dual G5 - yes I have OSX 10.5 and it works but I was hoping for a supported OS. I am just tinkering though, not the end of the world. I'll keep looking, if anybody has any more advise, please let me know!

Thanks

Beans

I just wanted to follow up. Indeed I've found a working version on Macrumours

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...dated.2204742/

This has worked out of the box BUT only when the drive was connected to the top SATA cable - somehow Linux doesn't like the bottom one. Also, if you burn on a USB stick you'll have to boot from OpenFirmware by issuing the following command (which at least worked for me):

Code:
    boot ud:,\\:tbxi

I hope this helps future readers

Beans

Me again!

Lubuntu loads ok when it's the only drive in the system. I have added a second drive on which I have installed OSX 10.5. OSX works no worries on its own or even when the Lubuntu drive is connected. Lubuntu, however, refuses to boot when the OSX drive is connected.

It goes past the first screen and then I get

Welcome to Yaboot version 1.3.16
    Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
    boot: Linux
    Please wait, loading kernel...

but nothing happens. Again, if I remove the OSX drive it loads fine.

Any help? Thank you!

Beans

Hi there - I am still stuck at that step. Any ideas? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast