Thread: grub2: new menu entry

Beans

grub2: new menu entry

Hi all

I could not find helpfull information with respect to my problem. I would like to try out some distros by starting from iso files. I stared out with https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/ISOBoot but when I update-grub after having added

Code:
    submenu "ISOs" {
        menuentry "Peppermint 10 ISO" {
                set isofile="/thiemo/isos/Peppermint-10-20191210-amd64.iso"
                loopback loop (hd0,4)$isofile
                linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz.efi boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
                initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
        }

menuentry "Deepin Live System 2.0 ISO" {
                set isofile="/thiemo/isos/deepin-live-system-2.0-amd64.iso"
                linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
                initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
        }

menuentry "Calculate 20 ISO" {
                set isofile="/thiemo/isos/cldl-20-x86_64.iso"
                linux (loop)/boot/vmlinuz boot=boot iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
                initrd (loop)/boot/initrd

}
    }
    to /etc/grub.d/40_custom, I do not get any countable results:
    Code:
    root@lubuntu-18_10:~# update-grub                                                                               
    Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'                                                                               
    Generating grub configuration file ...                                                                          
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.18.0-25-generic                                                              
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.18.0-25-generic                                                          
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.18.0-24-generic                                                              
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.18.0-24-generic                                                          
    Found Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (18.04) on /dev/sda5                                                                   
    Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration                                                           
    done
    So I tested echo and exit commands in the file but it it does not seem to get called at all. After resetting 40e r file I then created file/etc/grub.d/50_isos and this file was processed however, I got the
    Code:
    Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'                                                                               
    Generating grub configuration file ...                                                                          
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.18.0-25-generic                                                              
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.18.0-25-generic                                                          
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.18.0-24-generic                                                              
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.18.0-24-generic                                                          
    Found Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (18.04) on /dev/sda5                                                                   
    Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration                                                           
    /etc/grub.d/50_isos: 5: /etc/grub.d/50_isos: submenu: not found                                                 
    /etc/grub.d/50_isos: 6: /etc/grub.d/50_isos: menuentry: not found                                               
    /etc/grub.d/50_isos: 8: /etc/grub.d/50_isos: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
    and here I am stuck. Has anybody an idea?

Kind regards

Thiemo
    Last edited by deadflowr; March 17th, 2020 at 04:35 AM. Reason: move code tag bracket to reflect actual starting point

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: grub2: new menu entry

I found getting path and parameters correct as ongoing issues.
    It looks like you have your /home in your path.
    I found it better to have a separate partition. Some mount in a folder off / (root).

I also invariable edit 40_custom and forget to update grub.
    So I now just have one permanent entry in 40_custom and edit a text file in my ISO folder.

Example of my 40_custom.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....9#post13764329

Code:
    menuentry 'Live ISOs on SSD' {
    configfile (hd0,5)/livecdimage.cfg
    }
    And then the configfile entries in livecdimage.cfg

Code:
    # livecdimage.cfg
    # Add this to 40_custom to load this file:
    # menuentry 'Live ISOs' {
    # configfile (hd0,5)/iso/livecdimage.cfg
    #} 
    # Add iso names to livecdimage.cfg
    #for i in `ls *.iso`;do echo "# "$i>>livecdimage.cfg; done;

if loadfont /boot/grub/font.pf2 ; then
        set gfxmode=auto
        insmod efi_gop
        insmod efi_uga
        insmod gfxterm
        terminal_output gfxterm
    fi

set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
    set timeout=0

menuentry "Samsung" {
        set isofile="/ISO/Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_2B2QEXM7.iso"
        loopback loop (hd0,5)$isofile

set gfxpayload=keep
        linux    (loop)/bzImage
        initrd    (loop)/initrd
    }

menuentry "Focal Live ISO" {
    set isofile="/ISO/focal-desktop-amd64.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,5)$isofile
        linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile toram noeject
        initrd (loop)/casper/initrd
    }
    Last edited by oldfred; March 17th, 2020 at 04:11 AM.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi. Thanks for getting at my issue so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    It looks like you have your /home in your path.

I found it better to have a separate partition. Some mount in a folder off / (root).
    Well, not in PATH, but yes for the time being the ISOs reside in the home partition. I am a still reluctant to repartition my hd.

I also invariable edit 40_custom and forget to update grub.
    Hard on me too

So I now just have one permanent entry in 40_custom and edit a text file in my ISO folder.
    I feel it cannot fix my problem as my 40 seems to be ignored. I put lines like
    Code:
    echo "Blörtz"
    or
    Code:
    exit 1
    into it and it did not take any effect I could notice.

Kind regards Thiemo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try putting an ISO in a / folder. I also have seen some use a folder in /boot.

I have seen issue that since system is not running, you only have grub, the home folder does not yet exist, so cannot be easily mounted. User in Linux is 1000 and only after you boot is 1000 equal to first user by $USER name.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for trying. I did not work out. I fall back to USB installation.

Beans

I've been able to boot an iso file directly from the /home/user/Downloads directory although I've also found with some distributions that it is better to have the iso file in the / of the filesystem or on a separate partition as suggested above. I know this is not the recommended way but, if your intention was to simply boot the iso one time to install, it would be simpler to put the menuentry directly in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file, save it and reboot. The grub.cfg file tells you not to edit the file but the reason for that is that changes made will not be included if you run grub-mkconfig (update-grub) so don't run it. This saves running grub-mkconfig twice.

I have the identical Peppermint iso on a partition which boots successfully. My entry is similar to yours except for the kernel file which is vmlinuz rather than vmlinuz.efi shown in your entry. Did you loop mount the Peppermint iso to verify that was the correct name of the kernel file? It's a simple thing to do and could save time.

I usually install Grub to a flash drive and then copy the iso files to the flash drive and manually edit the grub.cfg file there.