Thread: Yet Another Slow Wifi Question (YASWQ!), Asus ROG Zephyrus G GU502, Realtek rtl8821ce

Beans

Yet Another Slow Wifi Question (YASWQ!), Asus ROG Zephyrus G GU502, Realtek rtl8821ce

UPDATE:
    After installing Ubuntu 18.04, I had zero wifi on my machine. In the end, the following steps worked:
    - Tethering from my mobile, I could install and compile the driver rtl8821ce (see links below); that gave me wifi but it remained very patchy.
    - Finally, I changed the antenna using this.
    - I have seen advice on disabling the power saving mode here and used that, but I think the two above steps are what solved it for me.

Hi,

I am still relatively new to Linux, with some experience for 1-2 years with Mint, now trying out Ubuntu mostly for GPU/Deep Learning support. Just bought the Asus ROG Zephyrus G GU502DU_GA502DU and am glad that I can run some deep learning libraries on it without too much trouble (my love for Linux is growing as well). I am still struggling a bit with my wifi connection and the suspend thing (a topic for another thread). I'd be very grateful for some advice or pointers, as I'm getting a download speed of a few kb/s only, patchily, and need to be close to my router for it to work at all.

I've already done some research:

• pastebin wifi script available here.
    • At first I did not have any wifi, but got it to work somehow after I cloned & compiled the independent driver repo rtl8821ce with advice found here (and here, talking about the same model).
    • I fiddled with antennas after reading this, choosing the second one, thinking it would bring significant improvement, but unsure now it really does.
    • nmcli gives me something like this:

Code:
    N-USE  SSID         MODE   CHAN  RATE        SIGNAL  BARS  SECURITY 
    *       BTHub6-82KP  Infra  1     195 Mbit/s  55      ▂▄__  WPA2

• a script found here gives me this:

Code:
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from BT (86.186.14.240)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by Structured Communications (London) [4.19 km]: 24.482 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 16.40 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
    Upload: 4.42 Mbit/s
    (as mentioned the wifi feels quite slow compared to my other computer/Windows)

• the answer on this page gives me GB. Haven't dug so far into WPA etc for my router, as my Lenovo x240 Mint (& windows partition on that machine) work both fine.
    • I'm seeing more elaborate option tweaking like here, but that doesn't seem to be the same driver, so unsure what to do.

I'd be grateful for any tips on what to do next, as I have a hard time knowing which would be the best course of action (buying a dongle, as mentioned here?)

Many thanks in advance!
    Jeremie
    Last edited by jchwenger; March 23rd, 2020 at 11:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Yet Another Slow Wifi Question (YASWQ!), Asus ROG Zephyrus G GU502, Realtek rtl88

See the wireless script link in my signature and post results

Beans

Re: Yet Another Slow Wifi Question (YASWQ!), Asus ROG Zephyrus G GU502, Realtek rtl88

Hi,
    Thanks so much for the quick response, I had pasted the result here!

Although I fear it might be a waste of your time. After many hours trying things I was quite dispirited, and tried antenna option just as I was writing my post. So far it *seems* to be working. I will update my post if this remains stable, so maybe it can act as a summary for other people.

Beans

I'd like to know how well Ubuntu works on Asus GU502. Have you everything working well now?