Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial repos for new software?

Beans

Unofficial repos for new software?

Guys. Ubuntu has anchient software. Is there at least a 3rd party repo for new stuff??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unofficial repos for new software?

Yes, there are PPAs that offer some newer versions. What do you need specifically?

Beans

Specifically I’m from fedora 31 and I want new stuff in video, multimedia, utilities etc. So that I don’t have to compile from source here.

I want rpmfusion
    Negativo
    Cheese

Something like that.

Latest man!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

In Ubuntu, the versions of most software get frozen a few weeks before that Ubuntu is released. After that, you only get bugfixes. So, in Ubuntu 18.04 you now have two year old software. Ubuntu 19.10 has software from about half a year ago.

There are third party repos, called PPAs. Use at your own risk, as these are often the cause of instability. If you really wish the latest releases of all software, consider a rolling release distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by u666sa View Post
    Specifically I’m from fedora 31 and I want new stuff in video, multimedia, utilities etc. So that I don’t have to compile from source here.
    So you don't have any specific problem to solve? It seems all you want is newer versions just because...

I want rpmfusion
    Negativo
    Cheese

Something like that.
    You don't need any newer version unless you want to solve a specific problem or looking for a new functionality. The latest isn't always the greatest.

The software included in any Ubuntu release has been tested to work with that release while newer non-tested version may break something. That IS how any non-rolling release works, BTW. Using a stable non-rolling release like Ubuntu and then complaining about the software versions is quite stupid IMHO. Users who want the latest should go for a rolling release.

Now...
    rpmfusion isn't for Ubuntu. Ubuntu, like Debian, uses DEB. Some software packaged as RPM can be installed, often with caveats, by using alien.

Negativo (???) Don't know what this is...

Cheese is at v. 3.34 in Ubuntu 19.10 (don't know what version will come up in 20.04 in April); Latest Fedora has the exact same version. Is there a newer version? NO, THERE ISN'T. 3.34 is also the one you can install from source. This is getting ridiculous by the line...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    In Ubuntu, the versions of most software get frozen a few weeks before that Ubuntu is released.
    That is a load of balogna and I can prove it.

Latest version of qalculate vailble on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS if 0.9.9...

According to official qalculate history, version 0.9.9 was release on July 26, 2016, https://qalculate.github.io/news.html

Today is March 15 2020. Ubuntu 18.04 was released on 26 April 2018. January 2018 version 2 of qalculate was already availble.

Now the truth. Ubuntu is based on Debian, and they don't bother compiling new software, citing stability. Cononical are the creators of snap, a stop gap measure to combat its old software problem, nothing more. Thus the problem. Debian based distoros have anchient software, not because of stability issues, but because it's hard to compile new stuff all the time.

On the other hand is Fedora with it's latest stuff. Problem with Fedora is not it's latest software, but, for me at least, latest Linux kernel, which does not work with 390 drivers. It is NVIDIA problem really, because NVIDIA does not support its old products on Linux, they are just like Apple in a way.

It's obvious, Ubuntu has anchient software. It is a problem. Would you use qalculate 0.9.9 when version 3.8 is available? I think not, cuz they don't even look the same.

Case closed, you are wrong about 2 year close gap theory. They just use old software so that they don't have to compile new software, they are lazy.
    Last edited by u666sa; March 15th, 2020 at 03:58 PM.

Beans

Some of the common applications like LibreOffice, Gimp, Inkscape, Krita, Kate, Audacity, Kdenlive, Firefox, Cheese and many more have Flatpak and/or Snap versions. I use several of these Flatpak and Snap applications on Ubuntu 18.04 to have the up-to-date versions. I tend to favor the Flatpak if available, and have had no problems with them.

My own Flatpaks:
    Code:
    dmn@Tyana:~$ flatpak list --app
    Name                                Application ID                       Version        Branch     Installation
    Marker                              com.github.fabiocolacio.marker       2019.11.06     stable     system
    ghostwriter                         io.github.wereturtle.ghostwriter     1.8.0          stable     system
    Scribus                             net.scribus.Scribus                  1.5.5          stable     system
    Extreme Tuxracer                    net.sourceforge.ExtremeTuxRacer                     stable     system
    SuperTuxKart                        net.supertuxkart.SuperTuxKart        1.1            stable     system
    Bluefish                            nl.openoffice.bluefish               2.2.10         stable     system
    Frozen Bubble                       org.frozen_bubble.frozen-bubble      2.213          stable     system
    Geany                               org.geany.Geany                      1.36           stable     system
    GNU Image Manipulation Program      org.gimp.GIMP                        2.10.18        stable     system
    GNOME Maps                          org.gnome.Maps                       3.34.3         stable     system
    Quadrapassel                        org.gnome.Quadrapassel               3.35.92        stable     system
    Meld                                org.gnome.meld                       3.20.2         stable     system
    Inkscape                            org.inkscape.Inkscape                0.92.4         stable     system
    KBlocks                             org.kde.kblocks                      19.12.3        stable     system
    Krita                               org.kde.krita                        4.2.8.0        stable     system
    LibreOffice                         org.libreoffice.LibreOffice          6.4.1.2        stable     system
    Stellarium                          org.stellarium.Stellarium            0.19.1         stable     system
    And Snaps:
    Code:
    dmn@Tyana:~$ snap list
    Name                  Version                     Rev   Tracking  Publisher   Notes
    atari800-jz           3.1.0-0                     1     stable    jz          -
    chromium              80.0.3987.132               1043  stable    canonical✓  -
    core                  16-2.43.3                   8689  stable    canonical✓  core
    core18                20200124                    1668  stable    canonical✓  base
    firefox               74.0-3                      330   stable    mozilla✓    -
    gnome-3-28-1804       3.28.0-16-g27c9498.27c9498  116   stable/…  canonical✓  -
    gnome-calculator      3.34.1+git1.d34dc842        544   stable/…  canonical✓  -
    gnome-characters      v3.32.1+git3.b9120df        399   stable/…  canonical✓  -
    gnome-logs            3.34.0                      81    stable/…  canonical✓  -
    gnome-system-monitor  3.32.1-3-g0ea89b4922        127   stable/…  canonical✓  -
    gtk-common-themes     0.1-28-g1503258             1440  stable/…  canonical✓  -
    snap-store            20191114.a9948d5            209   stable    canonical✓  -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Qulculate is not even in the 20.04 repo yet most likely because it is maintained by a 3rd party that is responsible for what if any version they push to the repository. There is a snap.

Code:
    sudo apt list qulculate
    [sudo] password for david: 
    Listing... Done
    Code:
    snap find qalculate
    Name          Version  Publisher  Notes  Summary
    qalculate     3.8.0    h-k        -      The ultimate desktop calculator
    qalculate-jz  1.0.0-2  jz         -      The ultimate desktop calculator
    cantor        19.08.0  kde<font color="#4E9A06">✓</font>       -      KDE Frontend to Mathematical Software
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Latest version of qalculate vailble on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS if 0.9.9...
    Qalculate 3.8 is available as a Snap application. So if you want that in Ubuntu 18.04, you can have it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast