Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 20.04 LTS stability on release?

Beans

ubuntu 20.04 LTS stability on release?

Hi

Could anyone tell me will the ubuntu 20.04 LTS be stable from the release date? Or should I wait a month for any bugs to be worked out?

thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: ubuntu 20.04 LTS stability on release?

Moved to Ubuntu Development Version.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

don't use it. It's very unstable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For me its stable right now. Both Ubuntu, and Kubuntu. I have issue with Lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jebi View Post
    Hi

Could anyone tell me will the ubuntu 20.04 LTS be stable from the release date? Or should I wait a month for any bugs to be worked out?

thx
    If you have the software updater set to notify you of new LTS releases and are using 18.04.4 now, my understanding is that you won't be notified about a new LTS until 20.04.1 is released. I would interpret that to mean that Ubuntu feels there may be glitches after the initial release date. I have 20.04 running on two machines, A Ryzen 3 2200G and Thinkpad T430. To my surprise the Ryzen machine is pretty stable. The Thinkpad, normally a very good Ubuntu machine has had some issues, I've had to re-install twice. It does look to me that Ryzen machines benefit from the newer kernel, Xorg and device drivers in 20.04. It also appears to me based solely on gut feeling that Wayland is working better than X. X certainly had some issues with 18.04 using integral graphics on my machine with suspend/resume. Wayland wasn't perfect but it was better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by jebi View Post
    Hi

thx
    Nobody knows. Generally, I wait until mid-June or July before loading a new LTS for testing. Really comes down to what you need in the new release and how well tested and fixed those aspects are by the team. For me, some issues in 18.04 still aren't working, so we are still running 16.04 on all our production systems. Tested the current 18.04 installer about 2 months ago, and the issues still exist.

Update April: Did a fresh install of 18.04 Server a few days ago and the 2 huge problems that have been broken by the prior installers were both corrected by the "download new installer" option presented a few days ago. Storage setup was almost a joy to use, which was surprising AND the setup for static IPs actually created a working netplan. Call me shocked. Progress. I didn't have to manually create any LVs, resize any LVs or fix a broken netplan.yaml file for the first time! Now I just need to get non-trivial, multiple network bridges working in the netplan to consider 18.04 "ready." Here's hoping 20.04 is production ready much sooner.

Just comes down to what you need and what works for your environment. If you want the best chance for those things you care about to be handled, test now. Constantly. Open bug reports. Help the team.
    Last edited by TheFu; April 3rd, 2020 at 03:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ubuntu 20.04 release date
    Ubuntu 20.04 codenamed Focal Fossa will be released on April 23, 2020. Here’s the release schedule for Ubuntu 20.04 with important milestones:

Testing week: January 9, 2020
    Feature Freeze: February 27, 2020
    User Interface Freeze: March 19, 2020
    Ubuntu 20.04 Beta: April 2, 2020
    Kernel Freeze: April 9, 2020
    Release Candidate: April 16, 2020
    Final stable release of Ubuntu 20.04: April 23, 2020
    from https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-20-04-release-features/

I have Xubuntu 20.04 installed on three different machines. Have not encountered any more issues than normally encountered in LTS 16.04-4, LTS 18.04-2(?), or 19.10.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Every Ubuntu release, LTC or not, always hits me with error messages at boot but, other than that, 20.04 is already pretty stable.

It's the Gnome Extensions (they're not Ubuntu, but the affect Ubuntu greatly) that will take a bit longer than release date to update and stabilize. They're pretty rough at this stage. Because of them I'll wait a month or so to update.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    If you want the best chance for those things you care about to be handled, test now. Constantly. Open bug reports. Help the team.
    +1

Beans
    Distro

I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 on my desktop and laptop (both Intel CPU, NO additional graphic card) since the first alpha and it seems very stable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast