Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Update and big problems

Beans

Need Help Update and big problems

The update today has me in a tough situation. at this point I can't boot a bootable usb, I can't enter the bios and I can't load grub so I can't get to recovery. What I do have is Minimal Bash Like Line editing from grub>

when I do LS I get the following output.
    (proc) (hd0) (hd0, apple2) (hd0, apple1) (hd0, msdos2) (hd1) (hd1, gpt2) (hd1, gpt1)

Is there a way to tell it to boot the usb so I can just re install? Or can you tell me how to load the kernel so I can get to the Grub boot menu options? I would prefer just to re install.

Thanks

I was able to get to recovery mode. I have access to root shell prompt. but it won't drop to root command line. I tried dpkg but there are errors and its not fixing the broken packages.

/lib/recover-mode/recovery-menu: line 80: /etc/default/rcs" No such file or directory

package dependenices

but dpkg in recovery fails and root shell will not load

I am hoping that maybe an update will happen that will allow dpkg to work?
    Last edited by deadflowr; March 15th, 2020 at 04:27 AM. Reason: merged posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Need Help Update and big problems

No solutions, but I just experienced the same thing. They said this could happen...
    regards

Beans

Me too.

On my other 20.04 machines I have disabled and masked

apt-daily.timer
    apt-daily-upgrade.timer
    unattended-upgrades

I doubt there is a fix for broken machines unless there is a 'repair' option on the livecd? Don't see anything like it though.

Beans

Yeah I am screwed. I believe the only solution is to replace the SSD and start over. PC will not boot to USB or OS. Bios are set correctly. Nothing under the Ubuntu recovery options works. Root terminal will not load and dpkg does not work I would love to thank whatever Ubuntu developer pushed that update through. Maybe they should take a little more time with it. Good Job!

Beans

Could you slip the SSD into a USB dock and format it from another machine.

Beans

No my computer will not boot to USB even though the bios are set to choose it as the first option. Something to do with the boot loop cause by the currently installed OS. I believe it needs to be removed entirely to remove the current os and then I am hoping that I will be able to boot a bootable USB to re install.

Beans

I was thinking you remove the SSD and reformat it. You were talking about discarding it -- I thought you meant. I'm saying you don't have to discard it. You can clean it, put it back in your computer and re-install Ubuntu that way.

There's no doubt your Ubuntu installation is hopelessly broken. I'm talking about the physical disk.

Beans

ah okay how would I remove it and reformat. I would appreciate your help. I will start the process of removing it tonight and I will report back once I have it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have you tried "cold" boot?
    That is full power down and if laptop remove battery. Disconnect mains and hold power switch to drain all power.
    Then boot and press correct key to either get into UEFI/BIOS or one time boot key like f12 or f10 check you manual as it varies a lot by vendor.

Fast boot in UEFI settings skips UEFI check on system. It assumes everything is identical both hardware & software settings wise. And that is so fast you do not have time to press any key. Best to have fast boot in UEFI off when making any sort of system change.
    UEFI/BIOS normal boot scans system for what hardware & configuration you have and writes that to drive for operating system to use.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I think I kind of did that. I ran the battery completely down on purpose and left it off for a while. But I am able to get into the bios now. So I can get in there an turn off fast boot. This is what my pc will currently do. It will boot to the grub menu. It offers the configurations options to enter UEFI/Bios. It fails to boot OS. If I go into recovery mode it will not activate net working. It will not complete DPKG. It will not drop to root shell. so none of the recovery options work. It will not boot to USB. This Laptop has not ethernt option, no cd drive and only one USB port. Two Typ C USB ports. I did not have windows on this PC.

I will take it apart tonight and remove the battery as you have said. I think I will also take out the SSD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast