Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinda urgent!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Kinda urgent!

Hi guys - System Backup PLan!
    I really need to back up my system as is. The best way? I do have one SSD connected to the USB, I do have other disks. I have DVD roms i can burn to.
    I need a system image i guess that i easily can recover from media.
    Thank you community for beeing there!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Kinda urgent!

The only thing i get is to back up as a tar archive (this is tape archive right and gzipped?) sounds like a backup of my files but will this include ALL preferences and changes to /etc files etc.? Can i restore it from bootable disk?? Please I need to backup my system asap.
    I know you guys work hard on helping out. I am in desperate need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just did a tape archive of / but I would like to make a recovery CD. Thou i guess the recovery option for this works. Just don't want to use too many 3rd party tools kinda like to learn the system

Beans

You want a backup of just /, the whole system or just data? The whole system containing everything will need another drive of the same or bigger size, Clonezilla or the dd command probably best for complete system or just root. Ubuntu has dejadup installed for regular backups, there are others also.

Beans

Although rumor has it that this app is no longer supported, it works great on Xubu 18.04: It's called SystemBack and it's point-and-click simple! Get it here.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans

Well, any backup is better than no backup, but backing up Linux, is kinda pointless, since there are thousands of copies of it at Universities and ISPs all around the world already.

If you want to backup your data, then consider a versioned backup, which doesn't cost significantly more than a single backup:
    https://www.aeronetworks.ca/2019/08/...de-simple.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2436006
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....3#post13935233

There are hundreds of different techniques. Each is about trade-offs. Speed, storage, completeness, versioning, restore time, complexity. Only you can decide what is important and the priority for each other consideration.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2311501
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2419993

Tar is a terrible tool for backups today. Think of TAR as zip. Would you backup an entire system using ZiP? tar was designed when 250MB was huge. There are many better backup tools.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Timeshift will do a backup/restore of your system, including all configurations. Media is unimportant, but I suggest a USB stick.
    It will not save your /home or /root documents, you'll need to this separately!

Install Timeshift, it's in your repo.

Before doing the backup, select "settings -> Users -> Include Hidden" for all users.

Then go ahead.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Like others have said, many options depending on your setup, needs, partitions & file systems.

Hopefully you will develop a backup strategy that runs regularly and test the restore process to make sure it works.

I am not a fan of “system image” backup schemes. This implies a thought process of “...when my SSD/HDD craps out, I’ll just restore/recover to a new drive and life is good”. Restores of system images are almost never identical and you end up with a “somewhat” restored system that can be buggy, can contain the same mixed up config that led to the crisis, and a pain that’s not worth it IMHO. I prefer versioned backups of /home, /etc, /usr/local, and package lists. Then recovery for me is a 10-minute fresh install, then install manual packages, then pull in from a backup my /home, custom configs & scripts.

Whatever you come up with, test it out to prove you have a viable backup & restore solution.

Beans

Do you only have?
    Documents
    Videos
    Music
    Pictures
    Downloads

If so and if size is less than 20GB total, then I would suggest MEGA, just type MEGA in google.

You install it and configure (option to the right during install) each folder you want to sync. And it automatically syncs all the folders you configure. It's free, if the size is small.

Added benefit, is that you can sync same folders on different PCs, thus your desktop is automatically synced across PCs. Good practice is not sync Download, Desktop, and if you have it, DEV folders.
    Last edited by u666sa; March 15th, 2020 at 07:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast