Thread: I can't type a letter “e” in command line

Beans

Exclamation I can't type a letter “e” in command line

When I'm using terminal I can't type the letter "e". I can, however, type a capital "E" using either shift keys. The letter "e" won't work even if I copy command with the letter "e" in it. Very strange problem! Everything was working fine and I don't know what happened to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: I can't type a letter “e” in command line

does 'e' work in any other programs?

is capslock on? is a metakey stuck?
    if you boot a "Try Ubuntu" flash drive, does the problem continue?

BTW, i have issues with 'i' and 'k' keys on one of my systems. i think the root issue is 100% mechanical - i need a new keyboard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

When you say "in command line" are you talking about a terminal-emulator, eg gnome-terminal or xfce4-terminal, etc, or one of the tty terminals from using Ctrl+Alt+F#?

Have you tried all the terminal GUI applications available on your system, eg xterm, if it's installed?

Beans

'e' works fine in any other program apart from terminals. I've got feeling I accidentally changed something somewhere that's why it doesn't work.

Beans

I'm only using UNIX shell which is a default terminal by Elementary OS. The lowercase letter ''e'' was working fine before.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Ubuntu/Debian Based sub-forum.

I have found three old threads on other forums where users were having the same or similar problem to you - unable to type the character e in their bash shells. In each case it was down to a bad line in their /etc/inputrc file. Have you edited this at all?
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Originally I was trying to make terminal to be non-sensative to capitalize letters. If I type cd downloads it wouldn't recognize the path (cd Downloads) as downloads folder starts with a capital "D". After I've done some unsuccessful changes I've noticed my 'e' stopped working. Now, I don't know how to make any changes to inputrc file as I have a warning text saying I can not make any changes to this file.
    https://i.postimg.cc/RhtwyC6c/Screen...4-17-59-45.png
    Last edited by ajgreeny; March 14th, 2020 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Large image removed; link in its place

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by lateralus2 View Post
    Originally I was trying to make terminal to be non-sensative to capitalize letters. If I type cd downloads it wouldn't recognize the path (cd Downloads) as downloads folder starts with a capital "D".
    Can't do that. Put it back the way it was . Unix file systems are case sensitive.
    Restoring a backup is how i would do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The image you added to post #7 was no use at all and could not be read so I have removed it and replaced it with a link.

If you think it will help please copy the text back here, not as an image but text, and maybe someone will be able to offer suggestions.

Please use Code-Tags for terminal output, if that's what you are copying, as it makes that output much more easily read and understood, formatting the text as seen in terminal, not as plain text when it is copied and pasted. See my signature below for a How-to