Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Tower or PC

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Build Tower or PC

i bought my 1st PC in 2000. it was also my last. The hand me down Dell i2002 model is on it's last Leg. 2GB of memory. i could ad 2GB more, not much point. i am way overdue for a new machine. i plan on building it myself. way cheaper. this is what i got so far; AMD Ryzen 5 1600, Sabrent Rocket Q NVMe PCIe internal SSD 1TB, still working on workstation motherboard, i dont game. i just get online. i already have monitor, two RW Sata ROM's,. i got cabinet lined out, or case.
    i got to figure out USB, SATA, NVMe, PCIe, on workstation motherboard. been doing some research, with a little help. finding an ergonomic keyboard when you put linux friendly in the search is problematic. i bought "microsoft natural multi media keyboard" in 2005. my niece broke the kickstands off the back of keyboard when she was young, plus my angle of attack is wider than is was years ago, my elbows got more bowlegged in old age.[I will look up the right words later]. power supply is easy enough to pick out. guess im stuck on compatible, workstation motherboard, and how much USB i will need, USB2 and USB3. im in the early planning stages. if this is not the right place to post, let me know. i forgot to mention 8GB of ram is better than 2GB, should i need to add more, i need more slots to put in memory. DDR4 i think. my memory needs DDR4 too. to much white matter. they don't make that yet. ;~}
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us..
    i confuse myself.. i forget things too LXDE

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Build Tower or PC

The Ryzens are great. I'm not sure why you'd pick the 1600, though, rather than the newer models. They've had some big improvements as they've developed.

Knowing which processor you're going with gets you most of the way to knowing which motherboard; there are only a handful of chipsets to choose from, and then it's picking a manufacturer that you find reputable and balancing which features you want against how much you want to spend. The choice of motherboard determines what type of RAM you need. PC Part Picker is a useful tool: it will remember where you got to on selecting parts and will highlight any incompatibilities. For RAM specifically each motherboard will have a QVL of modules that have been tested and shown to work properly.

I'd recommend 16 GB to everyone in a new build, unless they have a particular need for 32 GB. There's not really a reason to have less these days, particularly if you're aiming for longevity.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hello oneleded,
    I use my computer much the same as you. Just completed a build myself. You can model your build and check that all of the components are compatible here, https://pcpartpicker.com/ without spending a dime.
    I usually begin with asking myself, 'how large of a case do I want?" Recent build was micro-ATX, the two before that were mini-ITX. As soon as I had finished the build, I asked myself, 'Why didn't I build this one as mini-ITX?' You can buy comparable motherboards in ATX, micro-ATX, mini-ITX sizes from most, if not all of the manufacturers. You already have your APU/CPU, NVME and SSD drives.
    I reuse what I can on new builds: monitors, keyboards, mice, graphics cards, SSD, and HDD. In fact, my installed graphics cards were all castoffs from friends and relatives. Recommend you consider modular or semi-modular power supply.
    Good luck with your build.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Use pcpartpicker.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/
    You also can see other builds with similar parts.

It saved me from buying wrong drive. I was building a small form factor system and 3.5" drive I chose would not fit. Had to use laptop type drive. I did not necessarily buy from suggested vendor, but it was good to know prices.
    Newer motherboards support M.2 NVMe drives, but you have to check. Early M.2 drives were SATA only and replaced one of the available SATA ports.

I made a mistake on earlier build. I had monitor with DVI & VGA in and bought a motherboard with HDMI & Display port out. Had to add a low cost video card. Then found cable that would work to convert as chip's internal video was higher rated than older video card.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i dont game just get online. i thought that processor would get me by and save some money. i'll check the new ones. thanks. i got 2 GB on 2002 dell. i thought 8GB would be enough. i'll see how much 16GB cost probably not much more.
    the good Lord give me Major Dyslexia so that i might learn. if you dont understand what i write sometimes, that makes two of us..

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

thanks for the advice

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

LVI Attack Hits Intel SGX - Defeats Existing Mitigations, More Performance Hits
    The Brutal Performance Impact From Mitigating The LVI Vulnerability
    guess ya already seen this. thought id post it anyway. i dont know what. it means
    bad for intel. Zen 2 seems to be all right.
    Last edited by oneleded; March 15th, 2020 at 04:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Be careful with Sabrent storage. They haven't been helpful n providing endurance numbers for their SSDs. contacted their support team who refused to provide those specs. Best to stick with more reputable SSDs, like from Samsung.

Ryzen 1600 is fine, but mainly if budget constrains you. A 20 yr old PSU needs to be replaced too.
    Ryzen only supports DDR4. it likes faster DDR4, so 3200 to start. Should be about $70 for 16G.
    Get a reputable Samsung SSD for $50 and 2TB HDD more for $40.
    Ryzen drives the compatible MB - B450, X370, X470, X570 .. depending on budget.
    You'll need a GPU. i have an nVidia 1030, but would look at AMD GPUs more closely if in the market today.

My Asus B450 MB has 2 m.2 storage slots. One works as 4x NVMe. The other as SATA and if used at all, the 6-SATA ports become only 4. Read the MB manual carefully, before purchase. Beware that some MB vendors have next to ZERO support for Linux. That usually doesn't matter ...er ... until it does, totally, completely, no way around the issue.

if you keep a computer 20 yrs, wouldn't you rather get 2x the RAM you think is needed today, when it is cheap?
    Here's my Ryzen 2600 build
    Code:
               Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING v: Rev 1.xx
               Bios: American Megatrends v: 2801 date: 09/18/2019
    CPU:       Hexa core AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
               clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 1376 MHz 2: 1376 MHz 3: 1381 MHz
               4: 1377 MHz 5: 1450 MHz 6: 1546 MHz 7: 1376 MHz 8: 1376 MHz
               9: 1533 MHz 10: 1375 MHz 11: 1375 MHz 12: 1544 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP108 [GeForce GT 1030]
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia
               Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
               GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A
    Network:   Card: Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection driver: igb
               IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1262.3GB (35.4% used)
               ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Micron_1100_MTFD size: 512.1GB
    Info:      Processes: 372 Uptime: 15 days Memory: 11857.4/16033.0MB
               Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
    Very stable. 6 cores, 12 threads.

I waited until prices had dropped about 50% before building. Prices have dropped another 25% since that time. The MB+RAM+CPU should be under $220 now, maybe cheaper.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i like my 2 Seagate HDD, what i got now. i was planning for DDR4. still dont know what i'm doing yet. just in the planning stages, ZERO support for Linux. That usually doesn't matter ...er ... until it does, totally, completely, no way around the issue. seems like a constant everywhere. a work station motherboard is fine with me, should i find one. will do/read the MB manual. dont know if i will understand, but will look for linux support . i'm 64, looking for something till i can't type.[a magic number for amd]64. i still got part's i dont have to buy. as my monitor should still work. sound system. use it very little any way, don't know if printer will work, HP deskjet 5150, great on ink. Logitec wireless mouse. [they, Logitec, quit making this a long time ago] was $75.00. used or new in package are high dollar., same as printer. comfortable wireless mouse. The best for me. i just want to save some money. who dont.
    thanks for advice
    PS, if you ever watch NCIS, that is the mouse on the show. i dont remember what model it is. best i can remember is, wireless optical marble mouse. was 2002 when i got it or so.
    Last edited by oneleded; March 24th, 2020 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

i was planning for DDR4
    Recommend you check the support section of the motherboard manufacturer you decide on. They normally have listings of recommended memory, storage devices, and processors.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast