Thread: I am not sure what to do with Facebook

Beans
    Hidden!

I am not sure what to do with Facebook

I am not sure what to do with Facebook.
    My brain says to quit immediately but I if I do that I will lose contact with my family & friends.

Please read the following article an tell me what you feel about it.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/facebo...acy-nightmare/
    MX Linux 19
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

Beans

Re: I am not sure what to do with Facebook

Yes it is a data mining nightmare, hands down, no argument, well established. IMO there is only one way to truly protect privacy and personal information: get off the grid.

It's a risk you take, so knowing that, never put anything out there you wouldn't want the world to see. As for Facebook, appropriately lock down what users get to see. For example, I only allow access to friends, lock down what little info I put in the various profiles, and allow access to only one app, Instagram. Games are the absolute worst, does anyone think someone puts a Facebook game up just to entertain people? No, they are data mining trolls, and this doesn't include the rogue game apps that are really up to no good. Go over your settings with a fine tooth comb, and shut down anything you don't really need for your purposes. Messenger is also an open data book in this respect, I only use it when selling/buying on Marketplace, but the same rules apply.

Learn to use the ad and user blocking tools. It helps.

Smart browsing, especially with Facebook. A common one is a friend request from someone who is already on your friends list (profile spoofing.) The Nigerian princes. Friends requests you don't recognize. Fake news posts. Fake accounts taken over by the military regime in foreign countries to use Facebook as a misinformation propaganda portal. The list goes on. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you (or your account info. )

I'll keep it, there are some really good things . . . I find myself spending much more time on Marketplace than in any other area on Facebook. I've found and sold far more items there than Craigslist, although sometimes it's entertaining in itself (Rotted wood in my back yard, $50 LOL . . . ) But would I make a payment directly through Facebook using my PII and debit credit card? Uh-uh, no way, not ever, not even if my child were up for ransom, not happening.

I have a "page" linked to my hobby site that has brought a little business, but the same rules apply to the page setup - paranoia is a good thing.
    Last edited by sdsurfer; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

@sdsurfer

I have deleted my Facebook account. No more worries.
    MX Linux 19
    Ram 4GB

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If friends and family really care, they'll keep in touch by one of any of the zillion and twelve options available. If they are unwilling to write a letter or an e-mail, unwilling to call, text, videochat or even <gasp!> stop by and visit, they're not friends. If the only way they are willing to communicate is by asking you to become a commodity for sale on Facebook, they're not your friends. Dump facebook, write a blog and share comments.

Best distro for NEWBIES: Linux Lite

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

We are still being tracked. Not using FB is only 5% of what is necessary.
    https://lifehacker.com/how-to-block-...speed-30814279
    Today, i would use something like pi-hole to block domains as completely as possible using regex patterns.

Beans
    Hidden!

@Artim
    I totally agree with you.

@TheFu

I am using these addons (please see attachment). Do I still need pi-hole ? I have no idea what pi-hole is.

addons.png
    MX Linux 19
    Ram 4GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Never trust just the fox (browser) to guard the hen house. You need/want independent guards.

Beans

I gave up facebook awhile back. Not for security reasons, those are a bonus I guess. You find out how many actual friends you have when you stick to real life for the most part.

I found this out when I quit World of Warcraft many years ago. I had several "friends" that I met in the game. We were always chatting on voice chat, always grouping and doing stuff. I quit the game and that was it. Within a few weeks we fizzled out. For what it's worth I'm just as guilty as they might be regarding keeping up with each other. I think facebook is the same.

Real friends put forth effort to talk to each other, spend time together, help each other in downtimes. Facebook makes it to easy. I see or hear about people with hundreds / thousands of friends. The word has lost all meaning to it. An old book I read said "A true friend sticks closer than a brother". Can't say that about damn near anyone on facebook these days. I'd dare argue it is more of a popularity contest than a social platform. Seems people are always bragging about how many friends they have.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; 1 Week Ago at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

https://www.fbpurity.com/

I am using this in Brave and it seems to work well.

Beans

Haha.. I am having a similar experience.